Music Banter - View Single Post - A song you love from a band/artist you can't stand?
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 12:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
CoNtrivedNiHilism
Because I Am, I Can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Francis View Post
@CN

I try to approach every band with an open mind but im not a fan of Jared leto's voice plus he's too pretty to take seriously.

To be honest with you ive kinda lumped Staind, Creed, three doors down and even Seether (which i like a little) and similar bands into a moment in time i like to call "The worst era in rock music"

To me most of them sound like 3rd generation grunge bands and sure, most of them have a couple of decents songs and still have a following i was clearly unaware of cause im surprised Staind is still playing but that sh*t is not for me.

i can't tell you exactly why i hate it but it has something to do with the creed-like vocals and draggy nu metal guitars most of those bands have.
I know what you mean.

It was hard to find any band from that period of music that didn't sound like every other band. Nu-Metal was a certain sound. And the bands that attempted to vary or differentiate from their peers, they usually only succeeded in sounding like something worse. I think some bands did at least manage to have something to them that others didn't; Korn did this, Staind did this, Taproot did this. Speaking of Taproot. They are another nu-metal band that is still around and releasing albums regularly. Surprising, but true. And they are still fairly popular.

I never thought that Staind would ever break up or become forgotten. They honestly had too much working for them to just go away. And that's been proven true because they are still here. They still play arena's and stadiums, sometimes even selling them out. I agree that the period of music they came from was the worst era for Rock in general, Metal. But some of those bands aren't fairly treated due to the period of music they belong to and came from. I consider Staind one of those bands. Staind was copied by other bands. And the result of that is saying Staind sounds like every other band when the fact is a lot of those other bands, sound like Staind. Same goes for Godsmack and the copy cat bands they have, as well as Korn, Taproot, Linkin Park, Dry Kill Logic, the list goes on.

Jared Leto is a good lookin' dude, this guy has no problem agreeing with you there. Hilariously, it is usually one of the reasons people list as why they can't listen to his band.

Oh, by the way. Creed is not responsible for the vocals you speak of. And I tend to disagree with people that say that the majority of nu-metal singers did what they could with copying that style of vocals. Layne of Alice N Chains will always be the guy that made that kind of vocal desirable in a heavy band, in which case is the majority of the nu-metal wave.

Last edited by CoNtrivedNiHilism; 05-08-2015 at 12:36 PM.
CoNtrivedNiHilism is offline   Reply With Quote