Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate?
Thread: Love or Hate?
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #71 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: Monstrosity
Artiste: PRD (Plankton)
Genre: Heavy Metal

Love
1. The shift from the somewhat laidback guitar in “Ready for the storm” into the fingerburning fretfest that follows. And the unexpected return. If, somehow, there's someone out there who thinks this guy can't play as well as the best of them, listen to this and hang your head in shame!
2. The boogie guitar on “Blow it all to Hell”
3. Drums on TRF (wassat stand for?)
4. Guitar solo on same (outro)
5. Beautiful guitar intro to “Hiding the pain”: this is more of what we expect!
6. The vocals on this track: they're really quite good if a little low in the mix
7. The melody on that track, and the vocal harmonies.

Hate
1. Um, the vocals? Sorry man: they're not terrible but they sound a little hilarious, like the guy is trying to be Tom Araya or something. They also divert valuable attention from your superior guitar work. Still, who am I to talk? ISIS fighters have crumbled and given up their secrets rather than hear me sing!
2. The roars and the laugh before “Death machine”.
3. The fact that the vocals on that take away from the superb guitar playing
4. The vocals get so buzzy on DM that they start to sound like he's chewing bubbles: is that intentional?
5. “Kicked and trampled”. Sorry, sorry but it's just too hilariously bad to take seriously.
6. Oh no! Raps? RAPS? Plank, how could you??

End result: On this album you and your mate seem to be determined to be some sort of a Metallica/Slayer clone, and it really does not work. Your music is miles better than this and you're meant for greater things. I know, because I've heard your recent work and it's light years away from this.

So, Love or Hate? I'm afraid I have to put it in the Hate pile, though I don't hate it but I certainly don't love it.

Chances of a full review: 3/10, sorry.

Note: Sorry if this seems like arselicking, but Plankton's my friend and I've been less than effusive about this album, so I'd like to add these comments. I understand this was your first album, so I would not consider it a failure; rather, a stumbling first step on the path that has led you onto the true road to guitar godhood, on which your feet are now firmly planted. I think you probably realised after this that you don't need a vocalist; your guitar literally does the talking. Even the track that has vocals on Whale I consider to be the weakest on the album. Mind you, maybe you just need the right singer. Have you thought of asking Steph? I know she's in a band already, but there are such things as solo efforts/collaborations. And I know she's in another state, but that's hardly a barrier to working together nowadays. Of course, she may not be interested, but I think you'd work well together. Of the few singers I've heard here on MB she is far and away the best.

Anyway, just wanted to make that distinction, especially in the light of the possibility of a review. Hope you're not too disappointed with my reaction.