Music Banter - View Single Post - A song you love from a band/artist you can't stand?
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 03:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Plainview

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtwhtgrvty View Post
Yeah but pop is such a diverse genre. I don't even understand how someone can say they don't like current pop music. Did you mean like hardcore mainstream pop like taylor swift, katy perry, etc?
Yeah, that is sort of what I meant, should've been more specific. I mean there's pop as in general popular music and there's the genre 'pop', which is debatable but to me is about simple song structures and lyricism, written primarily for a young audience in order to make money over any creative pursuit. Obviously their are so many exceptions to that, and plenty of artists from The Beatles and earlier prove you can create music that is both highly commercial and has artistic merit. I guess it's primarily down to the influences that music pop music draws on currently, which appeal less to me, than, say, those of the 60s, where Psychedelia, Rock and Roll, and Folk made up a large proportion of mainstream pop music. Nowadays we see a shift towards R&B, Hip Hop and Electronic influences, which to my taste are less interesting in a pop context.
The overuse of babe/baby, the lack of any sort of discernible originality, the melodrama and the general sense of an especially heinous sort of hardcore vapid stupidity all make me want to jab my eyes out with a drill-press and then hang myself from the CN Tower with an electrified rope that sends shocks in excess of 10,000 volts through my body as I slowly die. While listening to Dream Theater.
Plainview is offline   Reply With Quote