Music Banter - View Single Post - re: homeostasis
Thread: re: homeostasis
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2015, 12:10 PM   #32 (permalink)
Oriphiel
Ask me how!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
So I address my comment to Tore, you chime in, and then tell me your bored and rattle off a bunch of bullshit you think we should discuss instead.. Yeh, I think I'll pass.
If you don't want to talk to me, or don't like the direction i'm taking the discussion in, just say so. There's no need to be insulting about it. Especially since Tore and I agree, and are basically reiterating each other, yet he gets a "Thanks" and I get what basically amounts to a "Fuck off".

Your question (which was addressed to me):
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
I don't like your analysis. Pick a side. Either our brains have evolved enough that we have the ability to override the "biological imperative" or the things we do are still driven by the biological imperative subconsciously.
My answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
Think about it like this; there's a car nut who owns a vintage hot-rod, and every year they upgrade it in some way. After a few years, half of the parts are fresh and new, while the other half are still old and well-worn, and there are even a few parts that the car still has but no longer needs. Humans are the same way; we have developed and evolved to a point where many of our old instincts are no longer needed in the modern environment, yet they remain. There are also a bunch of new parts that look fancy, but we have no clue what they do, and we can't make use of them yet (like a turbo charger that has been partially installed, but not completely hooked up). We're a jumble. You're asking me to decide whether the hot-rod is either an old car (always subconsciously moving towards the imperative) or a new car (free from being driven towards the imperative), when the truth is that it's both. Other animals are similar to humans in that almost every species never stops evolving and each has weird transitional hiccups and traits, but our very high levels of intelligence and our ability to actively change our behavioral patterns complicate the matter in a way that other species have yet to have to deal with.
Edit: You know what? Fuck it. I'm just going to add you to my ignore list. No offense, I don't think you're a bad person or anything, it's just that I've never gotten anything out of reading your posts. Your jokes don't make me laugh, your "logic" consists of reiterating shit that has already been said and settled pages ago, and you always criticize people for examining your posts while getting mad when they criticize yours. You're a lot like me in that sense, and I just don't think I can stand having to deal with another me in the world, as just one is more than enough to be annoying as hell. This thread doesn't have as much to do with it as the other ones we've talked in, like the one about quitting smoking, but we just can't ever seem to talk without pissing each other off.

Edit Edit: Alright, tis done. Fuck, I thought it would be the right thing to do, but I already miss seeing that goofy avatar that I so shamelessly ripped off of. I'm probably going to reverse this before the day's over.

Last edited by Oriphiel; 05-09-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Oriphiel is offline   Reply With Quote