Music Banter - View Single Post - A song you love from a band/artist you can't stand?
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2015, 02:39 AM   #35 (permalink)
CoNtrivedNiHilism
Because I Am, I Can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtwhtgrvty View Post
I was a big fan of MCR's first album back in the day when it first came out. It's kind of shallow, but I feel like their entire image and their fanbase really kind of ruined it for me, as well as the whole, overly theatrical, emo-queen thing they had going on.

I think they were a band that relied too heavily on their image. Their first album was really cool and visceral, but with each following album, they had this weird transformation. I'm all for heavily visual artists. I'm a big fan of Death Grips and The Knife and iamamiwhoami, but MCR's entire visual aesthetic has always felt very contrived and shallow to me.

This coupled a with blood on the dancefloor / brokencyde level fanbase just put me off.
They did sort of heavily emphasize that image you speak of, depended on it. A bands image to me should never be as important as how the band sounds, or the way they approach their music. MCR could have produced better music than they did that appealed to me more if they didn't put their growth second to their image.