Music Banter - View Single Post - The Lady's Comprehensive Guide to Sparks
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2015, 08:24 PM   #36 (permalink)
ladyislingering
Maelian

This is the album that everyone gets really excited about when talking about Sparks. Even if it's not your absolute favorite, you'll always be delighted to mention "Kimono My House".

Ron and Russell relocated to London in 1973, hoping to get on the glam scene. Besides, their mother and stepfather were already there. They hired some major beauties for their new band:

Martin Gordon (bass guitar), who would later form the band Jet with John's Children's Andy Ellison (who previously worked with Marc Bolan, who was kind enough to invite Jet's latest incarnation, Radio Stars, to his television show in 1977) and remain one of glam rock's most bitter (yet brilliant) dudes.

Adrian Fisher (guitar), who was discovered after answering Sparks' ad in Melody Maker. Adrian passed away (to my memory he had lung cancer, but I could be mistaken) in 2000.

Dinky Diamond (drums), who I don't have much information on at the moment, I'll get back to you - his name was Norman. He passed away in 2003 from an apparent suicide.

John Hewlett, former producer of John's Children, became Sparks' new manager. He introduced them to Island producer Muff Winwood. Ron and Russell stayed with Mr. Hewlett for some time while they were getting the hang of London life. Sparks were considered a huge leap of faith, and what a leap it was. Sparks practically exploded overnight.

"Kimono My House" is a nod to Rosemary Clooney's "Come On'a My House". The album was released in May of 1974 and climbed all the way to #4 on the UK's album chart for the year.

Track listing:

Side A

This Town Ain't Big Enough for Both of Us
Amateur Hour
Falling in Love With Myself Again
Here in Heaven
Thank God it's Not Christmas

Side B

Hasta MaƱana, Monsieur
Talent is An Asset
Complaints
In My Family
Equator

lesser-known bonus tracks we're gonna touch on:

Barbecutie
Lost and Found

"Kimono" opens with Sparks' best known song. Seriously, like ever. This is what everyone thinks of when someone mentions Sparks.

"This Town Ain't Big Enough for Both of Us" (often shortened to "This Town" by fans) reached #2 on the UK singles chart, beaten out (somehow, and tragically) by the Rubettes' "Sugar Baby Love". I know, I don't know how that happened either.

I've heard from many people who were young and aware in 1974 that Ron scared the shit out of them when they saw him on Top of the Pops:

And here's a live version from 1975ish, with the "new" band (we'll get into that later, though).

"This Town" was also covered by Justin Hawkins' (of the Darkness) band British Whale. Ron and Russell appear in the promo video.

...and it's also been loved up by Siouxsie Sioux.

Shit, even the Maels covered "This Town", in 1997. With Faith No More.

This song is kind of a big fuckin' deal. It's not the only hit on the album, but it's (almost) been loved to death by everyone who's been touched by the wonder of Sparks.