Music Banter - View Single Post - Which decade has the better music?
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2015, 01:36 PM   #639 (permalink)
Oriphiel
Ask me how!

I didn't mean to pick on the 1980s, it's just that I was surprised that it was winning since it's usually the most bashed decade, while music from the 1960s gets a lot of love around these parts. The '80s were like any other decade; they had the painfully commercial shlock (Pop), the alternative current of more "intellectual" music that was still catchy in it's own right (New Wave, as well as the awesome Post-Punk bands that survived into the '80s), the off-the-walls experimentalists (Avant-Garde), the uncompromising underground rockers (Punk and Garage Revival), and a few interesting scenes (the Paisley Underground, for starters) as well as a handful of musical genres that were gaining popularity and reaching their zenith (Hip Hop, Techno). Normally, I'm quick to call the '80s my least favorite time period, but I just recently sat down and made a mix of songs from the decade and I was legitimately surprised at how many of my favorite songs and bands came out of it. Not only that, but whenever I play the mix for people, everyone (even the really stuck-up person who only listens to really abstract and "intellectual" stuff) ends up really liking at least one song.
Oriphiel is offline   Reply With Quote