Music Banter - View Single Post - What is is about Metal that doesn't appeal to you, and can we change your mind?
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2015, 11:46 AM   #33 (permalink)
CoNtrivedNiHilism
Because I Am, I Can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
My main problem with metal is I get most of the things I could want from it better in other genres. Like if I want aggression I'll listen to punk or grindcore, if I want melody I'll listen to pop, if I want stories I'll listen to folk music ....and so on.

Also I find a lot of it extremely overproduced, I want raw sounding guitars hammering down memorable riffs.

Other than a few bands from the late 70s - mid 80s that I discovered as a kid that I listen to occasionally out of nostalgia I have no interest in listening to anything from beyond that.

Basically I see it as music for 13 year olds, there's nothing challenging to it.
Most pop bores me but I can't disagree about the melody, as it is abundant with melody. But where I do disagree is that pop does it better. That's me though.

I don't know if I agree that Metal is overproduced. What sort of bands under the Metal umbrella have you listened to, to name a few? Because your issue could likely be solved if you move away from anything really commercial or mainstream. I could name a band right now that has a raw guitar sound and to me, memorable riffs. Pallbearer.

You don't want to listen to anything beyond late 70's - mid 80's? Well. I can't say you haven't at least tried. You appear to have tried. But again. Maybe you're not looking in the right places.

And I disagree entirely on your view that it's music for 13 year olds. You show most 13 year olds today a track from say, Gojira, they wouldn't comprehend what they're hearing, nor would they be able to pick up a guitar if they know how to play, and play along if the music is as simple or basic as you appear to claim it is. (Not being combative and hopefully you can see that haha, so please don't castrate me...) However. I am not saying Gojira is the most complex band, or the greatest. I love the band. I think they know their sh*t. My point is, why label an entire genre something for 13 year olds just because it doesn't appeal to you, or you maybe find it boring, find nothing challenging in the genre? I really do not think that is a fair assessment, or even close to an accurate one.

You're an intelligent guy Urban, appear to be. So don't pull that crap that makes me want to pull the ignorant card on you, or say you lack the understanding/and or knowledge to back your claim. Because I don't think either of those apply to you.