Music Banter - View Single Post - What is is about Metal that doesn't appeal to you, and can we change your mind?
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2015, 12:00 PM   #38 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
My main problem with metal is I get most of the things I could want from it better in other genres. Like if I want aggression I'll listen to punk or grindcore, if I want melody I'll listen to pop, if I want stories I'll listen to folk music ....and so on.
I can understand that. Having recently gotten into grindcore and powerviolence myself, I find myself listening to a whole lot less death metal.

Quote:
Also I find a lot of it extremely overproduced, I want raw sounding guitars hammering down memorable riffs.
That's what ultra-primitive, eighties black metal is for (if you can ignore the cheesy, Satanic lyrics).

(\/ sounds almost nothing like their later material)

\/\/\/ And I can't think of many genres that have music this epic (in the mythic, marching-off-to-war sense). Power metal's fantasy lyrics are wasted for the most part, in the face of music like this. I really can't think of an analogue in any other form of popular music honestly (metal or otherwise). You might have to go to opera for a similar feeling, and I have limited patience for classical music, except as background music. Maybe the same vibe as Saxon's "Crusader", or Manowar's second album, except without any of the cheese -- I would legitimately play this for people who I'd be embarrassed to introduce to those other two bands. If you've never listened to Bathory's later work, then I think you should at least give it thirty seconds of your time, or else I'll call you out like Trollheart.

And no, this isn't anything like the black metal I posted above, or power metal. It's closer to doom metal than anything else, but without sounding anything like Sabbath. Just slow(ish) grinding riffs that go on forever.

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote