Music Banter - View Single Post - Metallica's The Black Album
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2015, 09:58 AM   #45 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoNtrivedNiHilism View Post
See my point though, instead of picking it apart for its flaws haha, geez Batty.

I know all about Motley and their history. I was insanely obsessed as a kid with them. You get older though, develop a sense of taste, and you realize things most times about bands you loved in younger days that sort of disappoint you. When I became aware of what selling out was, a lot of what I learned, Motley did. I should have stopped listening, because I usually write bands off that sell out (Bush, ahem, I digress though...)

It's the allure of sex, the drugs, the fame, the stories. We know all about that, and we know bands are largely about that, a majority as you said. Call it a fantasy, that's fine. But making the music all about it instead of making music that is something more is different.
As opposed to Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, the Rolling Stones, etc? It might not be as up front a thing as it was before grunge made the rock'n'roll lifestyle uncool, but until then, that was just all part of the mystique. Motley Crue just took it to its logical conclusion. Even Lemmy has been quoted as saying that anyone who joins a band does it for the women first, and the music second. Take that for what it is, but if Lemmy says it, you probably can't really say he's totally wrong.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote