Music Banter - View Single Post - The Refugee crisis
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2015, 01:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
fiddler
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtwhtgrvty View Post
Well obviously there are economic and cultural issues, the latter stemming from the hyper-segregation of Europe & the Middle East. That's the reason why there are such bad race problems in countries like Sweden -- an ultra nationalistic mindset coupled with very progressive social reforms causes a great deal of strife when middle eastern immigrants come a knockin', from cultural differences to economic problems to crime.

Not to mention that the real problem is Syria itself. I mean what are we supposed to do when the entirety of Syria shows up at our doorstep? Obviously you can't turn them away, from a humanitarian standpoint, but letting them in is a bandaid that causes a great many problems for the country they integrate into.

Ideally, Syria should get it's **** together so we don't have to manage and house their civilians and do their job as a country for them. You're (generalizing here) hypothetically doubling your workload as a country, and creating huge cultural strife while you're doing it. Obviously the right thing to do is to give them passage into your country, but the liberal mindset that there are no problems that come from this is very childish and immature. Everytime you do anything, a problem is caused by it.

There are two sides to every coin and pretending that we can just let them in with no problems whatsoever is just... a fantastical idealist perspective that has no place in reality or logic.
Oh I realize there would be problems caused from it, I would have only have a brain if I thought otherwise. But the way I view it, and always has is that problems that occur can be worked through with a little bit of grease on the right wheels. The alternative to helping them is doing nothing, and just letting them drift hoping someone else will shoulder the burden. What when no help comes? Do you just allow them to die?

Cultural differences will ALWAYS be an issue in society. I believe, however, that if you get to know someone and take the time to see them as people and not as "them", you begin to see that cultural lines are exactly that, lines in the sand. They're just lines we have drawn around ourselves, not a ten story wall that has been thrown up to keep you apart.

To me the burden of allowing someone's unnecessary death is a far greater burden to bear than that of the extra burden to help them. Of course, if Syria could get their **** together to start with, that'd be outstanding but...uh...forgive me if I don't hold my breath.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote