Music Banter - View Single Post - NationStates.net
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2015, 07:20 AM   #72 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Having a couple of problems with my country. Namely, conservation and religion.

The "Blood and Soil" policies of Nazi Germany were all about ruralism and the environment, to venerate their ancestors, which works for The Luxurious Beard of Odin, as we're all about that, but balancing that with industry and the economy is a bitch, and I've generally chosen economy over the environment, so I need to fix that.

And since my country is strictly pagan, and is attempting to eradicate Christianity, it's a problem, since there aren't, or at least I haven't received, any issues giving me the option to promote paganism (at least none that wouldn't have supported new agey, hippy movements). Most religious issues seem to be centered around Christianity, which I of course rule against, and this has led to my country being unintentionally atheist for the most part. This will not do.

I've generally looked to Fascist Italy and Nazi Germany when deciding issues, but they aren't much help when it comes to religion. There weren't any policies or rhetoric in Italy about rejuvenating the old Roman religion, and the influence of the Catholic Church in that country meant that Mussolini had to cooperate with the Pope, even though he was an atheist. Not helpful.

And while the Nazis may have had some pagan leanings, this was almost entirely by individual members, like Himmler, involved in neopagan secret societies. Hitler actually outlawed such organizations, as he was worried that they might undermine the government, and was himself never involved in any of them. He may or may not have been an atheist, but his actual religious beliefs seem to be unclear. His relationship with Christianity seems to have been one of political pragmatism: he tried to Nazify the churches, but in general let them be, so long as they didn't involve themselves in politics. He definitely didn't support neopaganism though. So, still not helpful.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote