Music Banter - View Single Post - Rock Album Survivor
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2015, 07:19 PM   #35 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
For Garage Rock, Paul Revere and the Raiders were way more awesome and influential than some of those choices in my opinion, and "Midnight Ride" is a killer album (especially the song "Steppin' Stone", which went on to become one of the most popular and defining songs of Garage and Punk Rock. Everyone from The Monkees to The Sex Pistols got in on the Steppin' Stone action)...

And for Proto Punk, you could basically just call it "Garage Rock Part Two" . Anyway, don't forget about Killing Floor. Also, a bunch of Garage bands had some good albums with Punk moments here and there, like The La De Das, The Zakary Thaks, and The Shadows of Knight...

Spoiler for examples:
The problem with garage rock, is that most of it was inferior imitations of British Invasion bands. They'd have a good single or two, but mediocre albums. Most of the actual good sixties garage rock bands did something beyond just make frat rock anthems (e.g. the Stooges, the Monks, the Sonics) Do you really think Paul Revere and the Raiders have an album that has any place in the same thread as early Rolling Stones or Little Richard?

That's why I took a liberal view to garage rock, otherwise the list would just be the redheaded stepchild of the rock and roll list. Garage rock revival bands for the most part are far superior to the bands that inspired them. And I threw Jon Spencer in there cause he's garage rock enough to qualify, and I just wouldn't know where else to put him.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote