Music Banter - View Single Post - aux-in's Collection: [The Electronic Continuum]
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2015, 12:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Aux-In
Wrinkled Magazine

Default Review Randomizer

REVIEW RANDOMIZER

In this post I browse songs at random from my master list and talk about 'em. Keep in mind, this list has been compiled from listening to music with every spare second, essentially, that I wasn't tending to some sort of obligation. That means that in the tens of thousands of songs I heard over the past few years, these have all made the cut for one reason or another.

I closed my eyes and pointed to the list to pick these songs, one song per page. Currently, the list stands at 312 electronic songs and goes five pages deep. In some cases I had already posted some of the songs picked at random, so I repeated the process until I found songs that I haven't discussed.

THE MASTER LIST (PAPER EDITION)

ASTR - "Part of Me"

ASTR is a duo from New York. Their Facebook bio states that they met in a yoga class and that they "shared a musical and artistic sensibility informed by cinema noir, Miami Vice and urban dreamscapes." I would describe this song as a melodic alt-pop song with urban-stoner undertones. Maybe not alt-pop, but city-pop, or urban-pop. I don't quite think it's hip-hop. Or maybe I don't need to care about the genre? Sounds good to me. As it were, it's a really chill song, and the catchy part where it goes "ah, ahahah, ah" is done in a different structure than a lot of songs I've come across. When listening to "Part of Me," I feel like shopping at some sort of upscale, trendy, urban clothing store. But then I'd have to scrap my flannel wear, and that's just not going to happen.

Foxy as Fox - "Love & War" [Original Mix]

Label: Dub Doze Records

This is a dubstep instrumental by Russian female producer Настя Калинина, or Nastya Kalinina (according to Google Translate). You can hear gun clicks pieced throughout and right before the drops, and these clash with both the intricate piano work and the abrasive sounds of dubstep. It's a subtle-but-clever statement about the dueling dynamics between love & war.

Mercer - "Supreme"[Radio Edit]

A banger instrumental that I often forget about but hear later and enjoy it just as much as when I first heard it. This is electro house, and it's a fairly simple tune. I chose the radio edit as the original wastes a lot of time in the intro, but if you want the original mix, you can go here.

PeaceTreaty (ft. Anabel Englund) - "In Time" [Singularity Remix]

Top-tier song. I dig the production, synth work, and vocals on this one. And I do like the lyrics "I've been lost in time, forgetting my mind. If I knew what to do, I'd learn how to erase you." From memory, I assume. The end result is solid, hard-ambient dubstep, and it's extremely catchy. The only thing is that it's a bit repetitive in the chorus parts from a lyrical standpoint.

Sub Focus (ft. Alice Gold) - "Out of the Blue"

When I first heard this drum & bass song, it didn't really sound like anything to me, as in that it didn't grab me; it sounded distant for some reason. I get an '80s new-wave vibe from this, which isn't a sound I typically gravitate toward. Not my favorite Sub Focus track, but it was a grower and it has made the list nonetheless.

"All over a bowl of bitter beans."

Last edited by Aux-In; 06-24-2020 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Fixed broken video link
Aux-In is offline   Reply With Quote