Music Banter - View Single Post - Noise/Experimental music: can someone explain it to me?
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2015, 01:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
EPOCH6
V8s & 12 Bars

He's not being narrow minded he's asking us to help him understand, he wants to see the appeal.

I've always found the easiest way to explain experimental abrasive styles is by comparing them to horror films, or more so smut / gore films. For a lot of us it isn't about "enjoying" the music in a conventional sense, it's about the experience and impact, visceral emotion, letting the sound get under your skin. When you watch a gore film and feel repulsed, disgusted, and uncomfortable, the film has done its job. Sometimes we don't want to feel good, we just want to feel something intense, that's what extreme music acheives, it stirs up an intense feeling, whether that's being overwhelmed with confusion, getting pumped up, or feeling terrified, disgusted, unsettled, or claustrophobic. People don't go to haunted houses to feel good, they go to feel that visceral rush of terror, its exciting but not happy, people generally don't go to noise music to be impressed musically or feel good, they go to feel something extreme and intense. If you don't welcome those sorts of emotions into your head it's perfectly reasonable that you don't enjoy the music that conjures up those feelings.
There's 3 reason why the Rolling Stones are better. I'm going to list them here. 1. Jimi Hendrix from Rolling Stones was a better guitarist then Jimmy Page 2. The bassist from Rolling Stones isn't dead 3. Rolling Stobes wrote Stairway to Heaven and The Ocean so we all know they are superior here.

Last edited by EPOCH6; 05-21-2015 at 02:10 PM.
EPOCH6 is offline   Reply With Quote