Music Banter - View Single Post - Noise/Experimental music: can someone explain it to me?
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2015, 02:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Francis View Post
Ima say this in the nicest way possible, you seem very narrow minded when it comes to music TH.

You're very dismissive of certain genres, i remember posting alternative vids on your Riff war thread which you instantly dismissed as a crap, hell, you don't even care for watching office space.

This boggles me cause as a member i think you're awesome, personality wise i think you're great but music taste wise you're very hard to relate to.
To address the bolded bit: I still do not get why the hell it's so important that I should want to watch a film just because a few people tell me I should? I explained myself I think well enough in that thread and I would appreciate you not bringing it up again as an example of my mindset. I do not dismiss movies in general but explained I had neither the time nor the interest in watching it. I should not feel bullied or cajoled into doing something I don't want to do. Suppose I told you you should listen to "Gotterdammerung" or something, something you have no interest (let's assume) in, and no intention of ever being into? Would it bug you if I kept saying "You should listen to it! Why won't you listen to it?" and then other joined in, and you eventually got a sense of people being offended because you would not listen to it? Well that's how I felt about "Office space".

To be perfectly frank, the pressure on me in that thread has only served to ensure I will never watch it, out of spite. If people had said you should watch it and then left it at that, fine, but all I got was "Why won't you watch it?" up to a point where I was almost sneered at for not wanting to watch it. It angered me, and it still does, and I would ask those who pressurised me into trying to watch it to remember not everyone likes the same things they liek and not everyone has the time to "just give it a go". I'm very busy and I'm very picky about what I watch. So anyway, kindly drop that as an example of my being narrow minded. Thanks.

As to that, why is it that I can't say I don't like a particular song/genre but Urban for instance can make a comment like "got through seventeen seconds of a prog song. Rubbish" and nobody calls him out on it? Answer: because he's allowed not to like certain stuff. So am I. So please get off my back. If I don't like your music I don't like your music; you probably feel the same way about stuff I like. We're all different. I don't think I ever labelled any of your music as crap specifically, but even if I did, so what? People have said that about my music. It's their opinion, nothing more, and nothing to get annoyed about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPOCH6 View Post
He's not being narrow minded he's asking us to help him understand, he wants to see the appeal.

I've always found the easiest way to explain experimental abrasive styles is by comparing them to horror films, or more so smut / gore films. For a lot of us it isn't about "enjoying" the music in a conventional sense, it's about the experience and impact, visceral emotion, letting the sound get under your skin. When you watch a gore film and feel repulsed, disgusted, and uncomfortable, the film has done its job. Sometimes we don't want to feel good, we just want to feel something intense, that's what extreme music acheives, it stirs up an intense feeling, whether that's being overwhelmed with confusion, getting pumped up, or feeling terrified, disgusted, unsettled, or claustrophobic. People don't go to haunted houses to feel good, they go to feel that visceral rush of terror, its exciting but not happy, people generally don't go to noise music to be impressed musically or feel good, they go to feel something extreme and intense. If you don't welcome those sorts of emotions into your head it's perfectly reasonable that you don't enjoy the music that conjures up those feelings.
Thanks. That really helps. Unfortunately I'm not into gore movies, but I do understand what you mean. The kind of "peeping out from between your fingers" thing, yes? Problem is, I didn't get that from Merzbow. I got nothing, only a headache. It literally was noise from the first moment to the last. But thanks for the explanation of what these musicians are trying to do, even if it doesn't do that for me.