Music Banter - View Single Post - Greatest sportsmen of all time?
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2015, 11:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Chula Vista
Toasted Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeytennis View Post

Educate me innit, why is Russell better than Jordan?
Phil Jackson, Jordan's coach.

Quote:
If given the choice of any player in NBA history to start a franchise, legendary coach Phil Jackson says Celtics center Bill Russell would win out over his former player Michael Jordan.

"In my estimation, the guy that has to be there would be Bill Russell. He has won 11 championships as a player," Jackson said in an interview with Time. "That's really the idea of what excellence is, when you win championships."

In addition to his 11 titles with the Celtics in the 1950s and 1960s, Russell was a five-time MVP and 12-time All-Star. Jordan won six championships playing for the Bulls in the 1990s under Jackson, earning five MVP awards and 14 All-Star Game selections.

Jackson dodged when asked to select between Jordan and Lakers guard Kobe Bryant, whom he coached to five titles between 2000 and 2010.

"I would flip a coin," he said. "Whichever one came up heads or tails, I'd take that person. They were that good."

“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well,
on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away
and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.”
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote