Music Banter - View Single Post - Concept albums
Thread: Concept albums
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2015, 07:38 PM   #28 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
Those both suffered because of the double album format. If each had been paired down to a single disc they would have been much better.

Still both deserve to be mentioned when discussing the best concept albums ever.
^ Yes, for a songwriter, a double album is a challenging amount of blank time to fill I imagine. Unless you are John Cage, you need to come up with an awful lot of good ideas. Also a double rather stretches the attention span of the audience - to be involved in the same saga for so long. In fact, for me The Wall , especially, holds out pretty well; it's only the Worms/Trial section that I don't care for.

Talking of sagas that don't hold your attention reminds me of Paul Simon's The Capeman. It has a few decent tracks, but was slammed by the US critics, I believe. Then again, it's the soundtrack for a stage show- and I think people usually exclude those when discussing concept albums, though I'm not sure why.