Music Banter - View Single Post - Is "Avengers: Age of Ultron" sexist?
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2015, 08:43 PM   #41 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K View Post
Not seeing it for two reasons (in addition to "you're the real sexist!" being kind of a lazy argument).
I think that kind of reactionary opinion that women having a romance subplot are automatically THE love interest, as opposed to the man, who just HAS a love interest, shows a condescending mentality that treats women as victims first and people second.

Quote:
First, it really comes out of nowhere for Black Widow. It's kind of a letdown because she hasn't been very romance-focused in the series so far, and changing that leaves us with no female Avengers who aren't defined by a guy (it's also telling that her non-romantic role is largely reduced to "Hulk whisperer").
1.) It comes out of nowhere for the Hulk too. And saying that she is now defined by the guy is likewise condescending. She has her own character development and has much more time in action scenes than the Hulk. The Hulk is just kind of there for the most part. He really has only one scene that's about him (his fight with Iron Man), and that's not really followed up much as a character development until his last thirty seconds in the movie.

2.) There was one (now two with Scarlet Witch) female Avenger. It would be kind of difficult to fit in separate romance subplots for each of them into a single movie, but they all do have them in their own movies.

3.) She explicitly has a "just friends" relationship with Hawkeye. How often does a female character in a movie have an in-depth, non-romantic relationship with a male character?

Quote:
Second, this was a movie written by a man in a society in which women often are objectified and reduced to child-bearers and romantic interests.
Incidental. The rest of the world does not define this particular male and this particular movie. I would also like to point at that this man has a track record of being particularly obsessed with strong female characters who are not merely defined by their male love interests. He's Joss ****ing Whedon. Were Buffy or River Tam defined by men? Show some respect for context.

Quote:
Based on that I think it's more likely that the intent was not to make Hulk more the love interest than her, and I also think that the people writing the movie should've recognized that, because we live in a society like I just described, the way I saw it was how it was going to look to a lot of people and they should've tried very hard to keep people from having that impression.

ETA: And GWG is gone again. Whatever.
Not Joss Whedon's fault that so many people use lazy logic based on knee-jerk reactions.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote