Music Banter - View Single Post - Is "Avengers: Age of Ultron" sexist?
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2015, 10:03 PM   #46 (permalink)
John Wilkes Booth
Account Disabled

i just thought of something... it seems a bit immature but yea

i don't know much about the specifics of the history of the feminist movement, tbh. but at this very moment, my theory that i just made up is that in cases like this, 'feminism' is sort of a proxy for tomboys trying to gain acceptance by their male peers. like i dunno if **** is considered offensive? but i do notice lesbian couples usually have 1 girly chick and 1 ****. i learned this mostly at my cousin's lesbian wedding. other than that i haven't had much interaction with the lesbian community. but yea, basically the point i'm trying to make my way to here is that i think it would be more effective for ****s/tomboys to form some sort of boyish-chick movement that mostly advocates for males accepting boyish chicks in boyish activities, rather than 'feminism' where they just seem to try to blur the lines and pretend like categories don't exist, imo. i feel like i would see that as a more honest approach and really for the most part i think in many cases men (at least some of us) do treat boyish chicks like men, cause that's how they carry themselves.

but being a superhero is just an inherently manly activity, imo. i mean if you think about how we evolved, in hunter gatherer societies it would primarily be the men that handled more of the hunting and anything requiring violence like wars with other tribes etc. and that's basically all super heros do, is fight bad guys. so you can pretend like thats not a manly thing to do but i think it clearly is. not to say there's not exceptions. but i would bet in most cases the exceptions are a lot more tomboyish and a lot less feminine. so all of this is to say, having a sexy, feminine street fighting protagonist is representing a very small portion of the human population, most likely. so maybe it's not all that surprising why they don't always show up in pop culture and when they do, they get type-casted by their gender.
John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote