Music Banter - View Single Post - What do you hate about [insert genre/subgenre here] and how can we change your mind?
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2015, 08:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Default What do you hate about [insert genre/subgenre here] and how can we change your mind?

I know Urban hates these "clone threads", but the original was mine and this widens the scope much further.

What genres/types of music can you not stand, not get into? What stops you? Do you want to try? What would you like to hear, or be told?

I'd ask everyone who wants to participate to be polite and tolerant, and mindful that not everyone likes their music, no matter how much they love it. So no "How can you not like genre X?" or "Genre Y rocks: you're stupid!" types of posts please.

Also, try to take on board what it is someone does not like about your genre and focus on other aspects they may enjoy. For instance, someone saying "I hate prog cos of long keyboard solos" is unlikely to want to hear ELP, Yes or Genesis, whereas maybe something like maybe King Crimsons or Lunatic Soul may be more to their liking. Similarly, someone who hates long songs is not going to be very responsive to, say, "Supper's ready" or "A plague of lighthouse keepers", but they might find something in "Horizons" or "A passage to Bangkok". Try to help, not force someone to enjoy your music.

Personally, hip-hop (formerly rap) has always been a big turn-off for me. As a youth I used to think "What's so great about speaking to music?" A very young and uninformed position, yes, and I've learned over the years that there's far more to it than just talking: there's a fluidity, a flow and a rhythm to how the words are spoken, often almost sung or like recited poetry, and I certainly accept and allow that most rappers are great artistes who are very talented and well respected, and that not everyone can do what they do. In fact, I've seen people try to rap who haven't a clue, and it's painful, so that when you hear a proper rapper the difference is worlds apart.

So what do I still not like about hip-hop? Well, there's the general misogyny in many of the lyrics, the use of expletives, the focus on gang culture, rape and other violent metaphors. There's the fact it seems always to be angry or judgemental (probably with good cause in fairness) and I'm also not a fan of what seems to me to be unimaginative use of keyboards in the music. Also, the fact there is seldom if ever guitar (is there?) in the songs, the overuse of samples, the dearth of ballads (that I know of) and I guess also the general idea that it's hard to understand what they're singing about or put myself in their shoes, since I have no clue about their lives and lifestyles, never even having visited America.

That's probably an oversimplification, but I've listened to one Kanye album and thought it was ok, hated another. I didn't like Kendrick Lamar but could listen to Ce-Lo Green. So maybe there is something in there, some middle ground I'm not aware of, that could work for me.

Personally, I'd prefer if you're going to try to convince me that you use single songs, as my in-tray is very full and I have no time to listen to full albums in the hope I may like them.

Obviously, any number of attempts to convince members can be run at once; if someone want to try to turn me on to hip-hop and someone else is anxious to get into darkwave, for instance, there's no reason these two efforts (or more) can't run concurrently.

So, who wants to try? Or who has issues with what music?