Music Banter - View Single Post - What do you hate about [insert genre/subgenre here] and how can we change your mind?
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2015, 11:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade_City View Post

An example. Not the most definitive track on the album, but has a good message nonetheless. All I'm trying to say is, that positive hip-hop is certainly not uncommon at all.
Oh I'm sure it's there. I'm just saying the prevalent view of hip-hop is, or has been, putting women down for the most part. It's one of the things that drives me away from exploring it. I don't really want to hear six songs about how big a guy's dick is or how many women he has on the go at the same time, y'know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine View Post
Yeah the whole mysoginistic thing is kind if dying out and you have people like Shabazz Palaces becoming more of the norm. It's still there, but not nearly as much relavancy.
Well that's good if the trend is to move away from it. That can only help.

To semi-address Urban's point about metal (supposedly Batty will jump in if he happens to wander by and sees the words "titties" and "metal"... ) I feel that, for the most part, metal tends to use a sort of tongue-in-cheek version, the same way blues did and some other genres. I could very well be wrong, but in general, hip-hop (what I've heard) seems to be more in earnest, more angry.

Then of course, there's Slayer and that wonderful lyric, dedicated to his fiance I think? "Why don't you just **** off and die?"

Oh, I should mention you can also use this thread to get people into, or express your aversion to, certain artistes rather than just genres.