Music Banter - View Single Post - american imperialism
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2015, 12:12 AM   #42 (permalink)
hip hop bunny hop
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
well, tbh i think the way you're framing it, it sounds like you think i'm saying the united states govt is just dedicated to providing the best lifestyle for their citizens, which is clearly not the case. i mean just look at the way our country is run domestically.

now i won't lie, i don't know enough about the global economy to sit here and debate with you the pros and cons of subsidizing the korean economy from an ecnonomic pov, and i'm not even doubting that their are inefficiencies as a result of personal favors between certain powerful personalities etc. but all i see from what you're describing is the US basically sacrificing some domestic ambitions in trying to maintain military hegemony in a key part of the globe. which, as a military super power, is probably not a bad strategy.

So,

1.) It's not that I disagree that the Government has a tendency to serve those who already have power than the powerless; but if it doesn't benefit the nation as a whole, what good is it?

2.) Korea is a key part of the globe to Koreans first and foremost, and some regional countries as well. The USA has no strategic interest in that Peninsula. Hell, the simplest way the USA could reduce the chances of Hawaii or Alaska being nuked by North Korea would be to let the South Koreans defend themselves.