Music Banter - View Single Post - Your History as a Musician
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2015, 11:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

When did you start playing? What was your first instrument?

I guess it would be the recorder back in first grade. I took up trumpet from grades 6-8 but dropped it pretty early on in grade 8 because our band instructor left to get his doctorate and the new guy was a dipshit. I had also picked up a Squier Strat a few months prior and wanted to focus on just that. I think that was 2002.

What were the first songs you learned?

Probably "Hot Cross Buns"

Did you take lessons and for how long? What was your teacher like?

When I dropped trumpet and took up guitar I did start taking lessons and it was probably the best decision I ever made. I am a little envious of self-taught musicians, but I work better with someone else when I can ask questions and get answers directly.

When was your first performance? What gear did you have?

Outside of the usual school band stuff my first performance with guitar was with the store I took lessons from. I think we did a rendition of "God Rest Ye Weary Men". As for gear, I honestly can't remember, but I think I was using a Peavey guitar.

When did you start or join your first band? What did you play? How long did it last?

Joined my first band at 14 and it lasted about as long as it took a neighbor to complain about the noise.

How have your gear preferences changed over time? What is your favorite gear now?

I never really had a preference back when I was younger, it was pretty much whatever I could get with the money I had. I never had anything better than a 30 watt solid state amp until a few months ago. I definitely prefer LTD and ESP guitars now over anything else I've played, although if I could get one for a good price I would still like to get a Gibson SGJ.

I've definitely had a change of heart about distortion pedals and now would just prefer to use amp distortion.

How much gear do you own? How much have you sold? What are you hoping to own in the future?

Right now I have my Blackstar amp head, peavey 412 cab, 3 electrics, 1 resonator, a banjo, and mandolin. I've sold A LOT of gear over the years, too much that I feel like listing but that said I've owned 4-5 amps, somewhere around 12 pedals, and about 5 guitars prior to the ones that I own now.

As for future gear... I'd honestly like to get rid of the 412 cab and either get a 212 or even 112. I'd really like to get a Gibson SG at some point, don't really care what model just so long as it's cherry. I think a Line 6 DL4 pedal would be pretty cool but I just can't justify $250 on a single pedal. Other than that I'm pretty content at the moment.

How have your influences and playing style changed over time?

They've stayed more or less consistent, although I've taken up more country/folk/bluegrass stuff over the years.

What were your best / worst performances like?

Never really played live show with a band

Have you ever had any studio experience? Where at?

Nope

Do you still play? If you don't why did you stop?

Yes, although The Witcher 3 has been consuming (too) much of my time lately.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote