Music Banter - View Single Post - Your History as a Musician
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2015, 11:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

When did you start playing? What was your first instrument?
I started playing guitar when I was eight years old. I had my dad's hand me down Ibanez G Series which I still have and play to this day as well as an acoustic Applause guitar. Kind of an Ovation ripoff with the round back, but I play it all the time still.

What were the first songs you learned?
One by Metallica was the first one that I learned all the way through, then I forget the rest. I had a volume of all these songs transcribed for guitar (they usually had guitar in them too) that I made my way through when I was learning.

Did you take lessons and for how long? What was your teacher like?
My dad taught me some basics for two or three years. There were some times when our planned practice hours was us just jamming some song I had learned. Then we just kind of stopped doing lessons for no particular reason, and I was self taught from then on.

When was your first performance? What gear did you have?
My first performance was at ten years old at my elementary school talent show. I played my Ibanez and used my dad's Marshall. It was an original piece that was a cheesy metal instrumental that a ten year old would love. I also did a bunch of acoustic performances at our church growing up.

When did you start or join your first band? What did you play? How long did it last?
My first band was Rest In Agony in middle school, but we never actually did anything but talk about the band since we lived far apart and only saw each other during the school time. Ended after a year of not doing anything. Then I started a real band called Wolves in Sheepskin where I started off playing just guitar but moved onto other instruments throughout the years. I started it with a mate when we were fourteen so it's been going for 6 or 7 years now.

How have your gear preferences changed over time? What is your favorite gear now?
I used to be an acoustic guy, but I really like feedback now. A nice amp and some good pickups to get some nice screechy feedback is golden for me. Although, I think that my favourite instrument to play these days is a full drum kit when I have access to one.

How much gear do you own? How much have you sold? What are you hoping to own in the future?
3 acoustic guitars
1 electric guitar
1 electric bass
1 tenor sax
1 clarinet
1 snare
2 cymbals
1 bodhran
1 slide flute
1 flute
1 homemade stringed instrument
1 didgeridoo
1 theremin
1 jaw harp
3 harmonicas

I haven't sold any instruments apart from a violin a few years ago, but I was thinking about trading my tenor for an alto one of these days. Me and the tenny have grown a little distant. One day I would like to own all of the instruments though, I have my eye on a ngoni.

How have your influences and playing style changed over time?
Started off playing lame metal and rock and roll (when I was being original that is), moved on to playing avant-garde ****. It just kind of happened I guess.

What were your best / worst performances like?
Worst: Wolves in Sheepskin were invited to play a party on the day of the party, and we were set up right outside of this guy's house without a proper stage or anything. Then we started playing and were still in our wannabe Captain Beefheart improvisations phase and we sucked.

Best: I played a solo fifteen minute set at my current college. Although it was meant for fifteen minutes I went for twenty or twenty five. Started off with a reading of Captain Beefheart's 81 Poop Hatch which went very well. Then I did a weird psychedelic guitar bit with a lot of delay pedal that the audience looked kind of impressed by. That track was eight or so minutes Then I did this song which scared them a little bit. I finished it with Zorn's Kivah on the acoustic guitar. I was on point that night, really gave a great performance imo even though it wasn't the best crowd for it (wonder if I'll ever find one of those).

Have you ever had any studio experience? Where at?
Nope. We just plop down the recorder and play at it.

Do you still play? If you don't why did you stop?
You bet I play, every day. I think I'm pretty much in my prime right now.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote