Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wrong Generation Argument, Does it really matter?
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2015, 12:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Aux-In
Wrinkled Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRFTS View Post
People often want to seem cool by dejecting the new music;
Yes, they do. If a person really enjoys music, then it's nothing more than "I don't want to." There's nothing wrong with that. Where the rub comes in is when they try to tell me there's no good music being made or that no one's had any talent since the mid-20th century, as if talent exists in a time vacuum.

Quote:
I do admit that the new music isn't as appealing but that's only because of laziness.
Laziness is a part of it, sure, although that can be an oversimplification of the resistance. I also think that rejecting new music is a natural reaction to anything foreign. Any new activity takes effort to acclimate to if you want to pull yourself out of your comfort zone. If you haven't met someone before, you need time to feel out what kind of person they are. If you've never bungee jumped before, you're probably going to need time to feel it out. If you've never heard dubstep before, then, well, brace for impact. It takes effort, time, and a lot of patience to bring in new influences, let alone experiment with new musical sounds as a non-musician listener. Unless you're really into music, why bother?

Quote:
People don't put as much effort into things to create a unique sound that sticks within people's minds
I have found tons of new songs that to me stick in my mind, but it's just my personal taste. No one is obligated to care about new music.

Quote:
People often want to seem cool by dejecting the new music; I do admit that the new music isn't as appealing but that's only because of laziness. People don't put as much effort into things to create a unique sound that sticks within people's minds; they take electronics for granted. Electronics can do amazing things, so can guitars and pianos. Even dubstep can sound incredible if certain people thought outside the box. I think the music people have assumed that people don't even care anymore; that is incorrect. I think the musicians need to realize that it's effort that causes people to like musicians
I don't hear anyone complaining about how electric guitars changed rock and roll, yet somehow that gets a pass from people who criticize technological advancements in music. I've largely stopped trying to convince people that there is still good music being made. Just so we make sure the pot meets the kettle here, I, myself at times, need convincing that good hard rock is still being made .

Quote:
Also those who focus on the whole "digital sales going up, CD sales going down" are not looking at the whole picture. Whole picture being licensing deals for older artists, promotion to get the word out, radio control (including YouTube, Pandora, Spotify) and indie label distribution. I get that they make things easier but take ever Bandcamp artist that should be more popular then they are; it would be much easier if we didn't have this major label stuff.
It's more interesting to me to read what someone on MB says about a band, click on the video, and see for myself. This, rather than some paid radio guy playing what he's told to play. I love the new system. It allows me to support a modern artist that wouldn't have been given the time of day on a major or even indie label under the old gatekeeper system. Not so much on this site, but on other music boards I've seen, it amazes me how many people there are on them who don't seem to enjoy music at all -- unless it's their music, which is, of course, sacrosanct.

Another point that I would like to make is that a lot of artists are bad at self-promotion, which is why they benefited from labels back then. I'm still surprised with how easy it is to spread music that a lot of artists haven't made their music directly available on those channels: YouTube, Bandcamp, Soundcloud, iTunes, etc. But maybe it's like a Sting quote I remember, which I will paraphrase: "I am an artist, not a businessman."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine View Post
Real simple answer: music is more interesting now than it has ever been. So no the argument dosent matter.
Yes. I heard this kind of thing a lot growing up: "Such and such an artist, book, appropriate cultural norm, etc., is good and/or crap." One of the things you learn when you get into the real world is that what people used to tell you was good [music, books, culture...] was really nothing more than their opinion.

"All over a bowl of bitter beans."
Aux-In is offline   Reply With Quote