Music Banter - View Single Post - Northern Soul
Thread: Northern Soul
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 03:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
right-track
Atchin' Akai

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesandtherubberducky
Could you recomend some songs or artists to listen to?
Thankyou ^ you are now my mate!

Firstly, I'll explain what Northern Soul is, for those who don't know.

During the 60's in the Soul clubs of Northern England, the regulars moved away from the Motown sound in favour of the more raw uptempo spins some of the smaller labels were producing.

Consequently the demand for fast Black American Soul music to dance too (and the faster the better) meant that dj's had to go in search of rarer and more obscure material from the vaults of these smaller labels.

The scene developed a cult following that moved through the 70's, took a dip in the 80's, saw a revival during the 90's and has gone from strength to strength up to the present day.

Dj's are to this day, still unearthing 60s and 70's rare soul gems that had never before seen the light of day. Class soul that never even charted at the time, due to the saturation of bigger labels like Tamla Motown.

Classic Northern Soul ;
(off the top of my head)

Tainted Love - Gloria Jones.(later covered by Soft Cell and more recently by Marilyn Manson)
Do I Love You (Indeed I Do) - Frank Wilson.
Out On The Floor - Dobie Grey.
Epitome Of Sound - You Don't Love Me.
The Right Track - Billy Butler.
There's A Ghost In My House - R. Dean Taylor (later covered by The Fall).

If it's fast and it's danceable and has a beating rhythm and has above all else, Soul...chances are it's a Northern Soul favourite.

Ok, now someone ask me what an allnighter is...
right-track is offline   Reply With Quote