Music Banter - View Single Post - Changes to Rule Enforcement
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2015, 07:06 AM   #31 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
First of all, it's very rare for there to be drama that actually bleeds into other threads. And it's even more rare for drama to enter into the music forums. Almost all of it is kept contained in the Lounge, where only people looking for off-topic discussion and letting off steam go. Like I said, these new enforcement policies would force everyone to jump through hoops, all to prevent something that is not that common, doesn't affect the main music forums, and is killed very quickly if it starts to spread.

I'll try to rephrase my point. There are only a few members who start fights, and those fights are kept in the Lounge and watched by the moderators, who step in if things get too personal. It doesn't affect most of the members, who are too busy having fun with the music forums to care, and it doesn't "overshadow" any content on Music Banter since it's carefully contained in The Lounge. People who insult others outside of the Lounge are not tolerated for very long (for example, take the recent case of GrtWhtGrvty).

This system works just fine. 90% of Music Banter is just as good as it ever was, and it remains that way no matter what happens in The Lounge. Forcing everyone to have to deal with more restrictions than ever before is not fair to them. It's not fair to them since they shouldn't be kept on a leash because of the actions of just two or three members, and it's not fair to them because the feedback you've received so far has shown that these restrictions you're proposing are neither wanted nor needed.

Of course a thief may not want rules about stealing to be enforced. If you have a lawless sitaution, over time you may accumulate a lot of thieves and when the day comes for enforcing old rules, many will complain.

I still think drama and bad culture is highly visible. Threads with drama spend more time near the top of new threads. They spend more time being the thread with the latest post and I do think it spills over in other threads. Either directly or indirectly in that the tone in a drama thread sets precedent for tone in other threads. If you disagree, that's fine.

Also, part of your argument can be turned on its head. If it's only a few members who are unruly, then it's only a few that would really be affected by my suggestion. That means it's easier to implement.