Music Banter - View Single Post - Animals Appreciating and Making Music
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2015, 01:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post

yea
I looked up the Thai Elephant Convervation Center ( Thai Elephant Conservation Center - Activities ) to learn about how free the elephants were while playing in the elephant orchestra, since some viewers complained that the elephants were being forced to make music and that it was abusive.

I learned that the Center created large instruments to suit elephants' bodies and did some initial training to teach elephants how to play, but then gave the elephants quite a bit of freedom to play or not:

"From the very beginning it was clear that elephants could, with endless repetition, be taught to play complex patterns. The creators decided, however, that making music should be fun for the elephants. Thus, the only commands given to elephants are to start, stop, and occasionally the number of times to strike an instrument."

^ What would be especially interesting to learn is whether elephants on their own would have discovered the sounds that they could make with the instruments, and whether they would have congregated together to play them.

I like how in one elephant orchestra video, the elephant sways back and forth while hitting the drums rhythmically. She or he has a good sense of tempo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psy-Fi View Post
Avant-garde is for the birds...

https://youtu.be/Yn93J2axD_k
The zebra finch musical art installation is definitely cool!

While I don't know if the finches are aware of the cause-and-effect relationship between their hopping on electric guitar strings and the sounds created, hearing the sounds that result when a flock of zebra finches interact with instruments is interesting.

I raised zebra finches when I was a child and never once thought of using their flight and their penchant for pecking to make music. I did notice that one of the parakeets I raised seemed to like to ring a bell.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote