Music Banter - View Single Post - Changes to Rule Enforcement
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2015, 08:17 PM   #115 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
I've proposed this system before and am proposing it again, if only as a temporary experiment.

The philosophy here is simple; change rule enforcement so that negative actions carry predictable negative consequences. If you stick your hand in the fire, you should get burnt. Today, consequences are lacking, inconsistent and unpredictable.

I've summarized my suggestion in 4 simple points which I've numbered for some reason.

4. Users (and mods?) should change their thinking about moderation and mods

Users may need to change their mentality about punishment. Basically, you are "allowed" to break a rule, but it will cost you temporary infractions. When you get more than 10 infractions, you are temporarily banned until your total amount comes under 10. That means that if you have 0 infractions, you can calculate how many times you can break the rules. Possibly, you can break it two or three times without getting a temp ban. Hence, the proposed system is lenient and does allow for one word posts or personal attacks, just in reduced numbers. It promotes thinking before posting.

For moderators, the system suggests sending an awful lot of PMs which they undoubtedly would get pissy replies to. Pissy on PMs is fine; it doesn't hurt the forums. Be cool, rise above it and remember that personal is not the same as important. Be consistent, predictable and act with integrity.
But who is to say that a mod wants to read "pissy PM." I think that would wear on ones nerves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
It sounds alright in theory, but I just don't know if it'll make things better. Either way, even if everyone voted for it and the mods decided to go ahead with it, I'd still recommend that we have a trial run first. After trying it for a week or so, we could have another vote/discussion about it.
Reminds me of a quote I came across lately.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote