Music Banter - View Single Post - Changes to Rule Enforcement
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2015, 05:46 PM   #140 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Grats on your new job, Jans, and thanks for your reply.

I feel like I should clarify again that I'm not saying there can't be context. It just shouldn't be nothing but context. If there was a general precedent that breaking rule X is penalized with 3 infractions, then that's your basic starting point. Perhaps you'd make it a 2 or a 4 - or even just a warning. The general idea and expectation is that it requires punitive action.

If there is no precedent, no guideline and no expectations, then your starting point is likely nothing. When a lack of a system allows for doing nothing, that can become pretty tempting - particularly in an environment such as this becase, as you say, mods are members of the community and so have incentive against taking punitive actions against friends. Plus, when there's no system, any mod is accountable for their own punitive actions.

I wouldn't like handing out infractions to people I like either, but it's for the good of themselves and everyone else. I compared MB to a playground with kids earlier and to use that analogy again, raising kids generally works better with some structure, rules and boundaries. Even though you don't like punishing your kids, a system of timeouts is probably better than total anarchy - for them, for you and for everyone else who spend time with you.

As I mentioned earlier, while a system calls for more punitive actions against members, it also takes responsibility away from mods because they're just doing their job. When there's no real system, mods are held accountable, creating another incentive to do nothing.

edit :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I don't understand this. How do infraction points decrease? How does "the total amount again come under 10"?
Infractions generally expire after X amount of time. So, if you break a rule, you could be punished with 3 infraction points for 10 days (ex). After those 10 days were over, and as long as you didn't earn any more infractions, you would be back at 0.

You mention that my draconian system seems like a return to the dark ages, but consistent and predictable moderation is pretty much the norm for most civilized discussion forums. I think you may be missing out on some of the philosophy behind my suggestion and what it would entail. And while you may not think MB is broke, there are many that do. Granted, they tend to leave over time.

Last edited by Guybrush; 05-30-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote