Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Minimalism Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2015, 09:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Default The Official Minimalism Thread

I looked through several pages of this and the classical section but couldn't find any pages specifically dedicated to minimalism, so I don't think I'm at risk of making a repeat thread.

Who are your favourite minimalist artists? This doesn't have to be oriented towards classical music, but that's where a lot of minimalism resides so I'll be focusing my post in that area. The biggest names as far as minimalism goes are Steve Reich and Philip Glass, who make great music but neither of them appear on my favourites list tbh.

I'd have to say my all time favourite is Terry Riley. His most famous piece is In C, which is a piece made for any number of musicians where they choose from a series of phrases and introduce improvisations all In C. Really beautiful piece, but here's one that maybe most people haven't heard that's incredible as well.

Another composer who I've come across whose take on minimalism is really hypnotic and beautiful is Charlemagne Palestine. His album Strumming Music is phenomenal imo.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote