Music Banter - View Single Post - Changes to Rule Enforcement
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2015, 06:26 PM   #307 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by aux-in View Post
The #1 reason that I'm even here was because I wanted to find a less restrictive environment than some other forums. From what I've read in this thread and others, the problem seems to have stemmed from a few prolific members causing issues because they've gotten too comfortable. I'm not sure how the modding is currently handled (maybe it is handled this way, I don't know), but I'd like to say a few words. To me, an easy solution would be to send the person in question a private message, stating something along the lines of:

"The mod team has met and discussed (whatever the issue is), and we wanted to let you know that it is inappropriate. We consider you a valuable member, but you have to stop doing x, y, and z. For any future actions revolving this issue, please see our rules page [linked here]."

It should be in a PM, too, because just stating "you need to cool it" in the process of a thread discussion doesn't carry the same weight (too indirect). The fact that more than one mod is on board with sending a PM shows that it has been discussed among, well, more than one mod. This helps to make things less personal as it's a group decision. It's something light and functions as a verbal warning, and no system modification/programming is even necessary. If the person refuses to stop what he/she is doing, then form there, you can infraction away and/or follow more punitive measures. Largely, I don't think people change their behavior too much, but you can at least try it that way.
We already do that.
The person on the receiving end inevitably doesn't think what they did was wrong and immediately assumes that we didn't send the same message to the person they were in a spat with, further enforcing their assumption that we just have it out for them.