Music Banter - View Single Post - Changes to Rule Enforcement
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2015, 09:54 AM   #334 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by aux-in View Post
The #1 reason that I'm even here was because I wanted to find a less restrictive environment than some other forums. From what I've read in this thread and others, the problem seems to have stemmed from a few prolific members causing issues because they've gotten too comfortable. I'm not sure how the modding is currently handled (maybe it is handled this way, I don't know), but I'd like to say a few words. To me, an easy solution would be to send the person in question a private message, stating something along the lines of:

"The mod team has met and discussed (whatever the issue is), and we wanted to let you know that it is inappropriate. We consider you a valuable member, but you have to stop doing x, y, and z. For any future actions revolving this issue, please see our rules page [linked here]."

It should be in a PM, too, because just stating "you need to cool it" in the process of a thread discussion doesn't carry the same weight (too indirect). The fact that more than one mod is on board with sending a PM shows that it has been discussed among, well, more than one mod. This helps to make things less personal as it's a group decision. It's something light and functions as a verbal warning, and no system modification/programming is even necessary. If the person refuses to stop what he/she is doing, then form there, you can infraction away and/or follow more punitive measures. Largely, I don't think people change their behavior too much, but you can at least try it that way.
This is the best idea yet. A warning with some weight behind it and the obvious implication that it's not just the opinion of one person/one person being singled out by one mod.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
In my experience, most people that get infractions don't feel like they are deserved. I'd be surprised if any of those "other members" told you their infraction was totally justified without trying to save face.

Like Roxy (and if you talk to Urban he will confirm this) I accepted the warning I got for insulting SF. It was at the time a bad decision and to be fair to Urban, he explained its necessity very well. I didn't take any offence and I accepted it with good grace. But then, I'm such a nice guy it probably makes the rest of you sick.

If a warning/infraction/ban is deserved, there's no real reason why anyone should whine about it, especially if they've been able to see it coming. There is, admittedly, nothing worse than getting that PM and once you read it you can no longer access the site (or when you go to the site you get a message saying you've been banned, can't remember which but they're both annoying and a little terrifying) but it does hammer the point home that you crossed the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler View Post
. Just like in real life, if your neighbor steals your stuff every day and all of a sudden you shoot him, when the cops get there, they might not be so inclined to listen to your side of the story.
I just bet that's a true story!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
You know whats funny?? Most ppl that dont want this change are the ones cool enough to fake insult each other. And if they dont report the post that was made by the line crosser where is the harm?
Exactly. The reason so many of us are against this is precisely because we don't get involved in drama, or if we do we know how to get out of it, even (and I'm talking mega-extreme measures here obviously) if it involves a public apology and climbdown. We can do this ourselves. We're adults, which is why this whole carrot-and-stick-minus-carrot idea is so offensive to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle View Post
I think bob. sending Trollheart albums that he enjoys is worth at least a temp ban personally.
He is going against the spirit of the board, yes, I'll grant you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
Maybe not a power hungry tyrant. But I felt a couple times that it went from friendly suggestions, to hostile take over, with no regard for anyone's opinion but your own.
I feel you had some good points and some **** ones but it doesn't matter now because you left a bad taste in my mouth by not knowing when to quit.So ifthe poll was put up AGAIN worded differently I dunno I could vote yes to anything, because now I don' t trust you. .
Youd make a fabulous politician.

Edit:May I ask why you are trying to police the nature of two friends banter the sake of the board ? If ppl are friends then its not the rest of the boards concern. Because you can tell they are friends.
Also, @tore, if there a reason why the poll is NOT anonymous? That smacks of a rather dark intent to me, even if that's not the case. How many polls have ever been made here that gave names of members out? Why did you feel you had to do that? What's the thinking behind that decision may I ask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
So to add to what I wrote.

next: finding good mods is extremely hard. I've been at it since 2007 and I know what I'm talking about. It's exactly like with politicians: those who want power most of the time shouldn't have any. Not wanting power is often, but not always, a good indication of sanity, and only sane people should have power.
Some people had proposed me (whether seriously or not I don't know, though Vanilla certainly was) as a mod, and I had and will continue to turn it down, as I know I could not give the job the amount of time and energy it would require. If you're going to do a job do it 100%, and I could not guarantee that. So I'd rather not be a mod than be a bad one. I honestly don't know how these guys and girls do it. It's surely not an easy job, nor one replete with gratitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post

I feel like you're implying that I have an ulterior motive and, fun as that might be, I really don't.

I see myself more as an engineer than a politician. If I see something that doesn't work as well as I would wish, I want to improve on it and I like fiddling with projects like this. I prefer to look for solutions rather than problems and as Batlord writes, power (like modship), is merely a means to an end (to fix something I perceive as a problem).

Regarding discussions and others opinion of me, I want people to like my suggestion or see the sense in my arguments. If they like me as a person, that's nice, but ultimately not what I think is important. I myself tend to not take things personal, looking more at what people write than how they write them, and sometimes I (regrettably) forget that other people might not "work" the same way.

In my daily work, I work with environmental laws towards businesses. Sometimes that means excercising authority. Work on such cases has to be done with objectivity, honesty and transparency (almost all the work I produce is available for public scrutiny) and when modding or discussing serious topics, I basically try to bring that work ethic to these forums.
You see, that there is the whole problem. This doesn't feel like someone who cares about us trying to make the place better (I'm sorry tore but it doesn't, not to me), more like someone running a cold and clinical experiment, and I feel like a lab rat. With glasses.
Quote:

If two friends are chatting with eachother on the forums about something which has little real relevance to the topic or anyone else, then they could do so on PMs or Skype or Messenger or Facebook or what have you instead.

I generally think that writing posts on a forum should be more like publishing something. That's the way forums are intended to work. Topic titles are a bit like book or chapter titles. The words in your posts will remain there forever (okay, until the forum is deleted). It's just not made for real time chatting.

I understand that many people don't agree with me, but I think leaving The Lounge alone is a good compromise. Plus, there's all those other places where one could "chat", like in plug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki View Post
So now you don't want people who are friends to have friendly banter in the forum? I don't like that idea at all. Everyone would be like robots if we weren't allowed to have a little back and forths with the people we like here.

To your second point, I'm also going to have to disagree. I'm not going to proofread and read over and over again every single time I post. I don't think i've actually been on a forum that stood by that either, so if you have proof that this type of forum exists, i'd love to see it. I find the casual posting style to be one of the better qualities of this site. The only time I personally care about what my post looks like is when it's in my journal, other than that, I hardly ever worry about what my post says or looks like.

Overall, what your saying here is if we don't talk to each other in threads that relate to the topic, we shouldn't even talk at all. Bravo on yet another terrible idea.
This again. Why does it always have to be relevant to the topic, tore? I created a thread specifically with no topic, and it's chaos but fun. Yes it's in the Lounge but again, to go back to my "Metal Month III" thread, which is in the main form (Metal), I wouldn't care if people instead of giving me lists of albums started talking about how hard it is to catch a bus, if the conversation naturally and organically grows into that, as long as it returns to the topic eventually. That's what conversations are; you don't just stick to one topic, you end up being pulled or taking the conversation in new directions. Remember Billy Connolly? There's nothing wrong with that as far as I can see, once it does eventually settle down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
community (and then it's fine), but sometimes they don't (ex. just "lol" or just an emoticon) and they're the ones that should be discouraged, I think.
So Jansz would be in your sights for an infraction then??