Music Banter - View Single Post - New Policy for Rule Enforcement
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2015, 10:10 AM   #111 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
This is a good suggestion

I definitely can see your point and wish I had thought of it myself. Perhaps a new poll could run alongside this or we chould shut this one down. On the choices for a new poll, I would like your input. How about something like this?

Poll : Which of these statements do you agree with? (not anonymous)

Options (multiple choice) :
  1. This site runs fine as it is (not in favour of any change)
  2. The mod team should be bolstered with additional mods
  3. The rules should be revised
  4. When enforcing rules, mods should strive to treat all members equally
  5. Moderators should strive to react (with warning or punishment) whenever rules are broken
  6. For punishment, moderators should use the in-built infractions system
  7. The Lounge forum (not its subforums) should be exempt from a new moderation policy
  8. Any new moderation policy should have a trial run first (ex. 1 - 2 months)

Duration : 2 weeks

Here they just vote for things they agree with. I could add counter-options to every option, but it would become a crazy ass long poll and we can sorta figure out from the answers what the voters don't want. Also, they could elaborate in the thread with a post.

What do you think?
I agree that creating a new, multiple choice poll is a very good idea. I also agree that it should have a 2 week time limit and that any new moderation policy should have a trial run first.

I recommend keeping the current, simpler poll open for a total of 2 weeks, since it provides *some* data on what the community, including mods, feels.

I have three suggestions about a multiple choice poll format:

(1) I recommend that the multiple choice poll give people a chance to vote either YES or NO on each suggestion. While this does make a longer poll, it also makes understanding the results much easier and faster.

For example, let's say 100 people in total vote in the poll, but we get only 20 votes for "the mod team should be bolstered with additional mods."

Does that mean the other 80 oppose having more mods, or don't really feel it is necessary but don't really care one way or the other?

By providing the NO option, this allows us to tell how many people feel strongly that the suggested change is bad. If only 10 people vote NO, then presumably (of the people who care), the vote would be 20 YES : 10 NO, and so the conclusion would be that having additional mods would be a change that could be made without bothering a majority of the voters.

ALTERNATIVELY, you could explain that each measure would need votes from more than half the voters to be considered as a change to be made at Musicbanter (assuming we want a simple majority to be necessary for a measure to pass).

(2) I would very explicity ask people to post in the new poll's thread to elaborate on their opinions about each proposal and to suggest any additional changes they might want to see at Musicbanter.

One option in particular ("3. The rules should be revised") could be worded to ask voters to expain how they want the rules to be revised if they vote Yes. For example, the option could state: "The rules should be revised [Please post your suggested rule changes in the thread]."

(3) I recommend that the fourth option read, "4. When enforcing rules, mods should strive to treat all members, including moderators, equally" to emphasize that moderators are not exempt from the rules.

I also feel it would be good, in the new poll's original post, for information to be given about how the built-in infractions system works, so you would probably want to link to your thread that explains it.

Thank you for continuing to work on this, Tore, and a thanks to all the members/mods who are sharing their opinions because they care about the Musicbanter community.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"