Music Banter - View Single Post - Changes to Rule Enforcement
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2015, 02:08 PM   #340 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
That just avoids my point. I'm saying that just because a thread is labelled, let's say, "John Zorn is great", does not mean someone at some point might start talking about, say, Merzbow, and then someone else might reference my dislike of him, leading to a discussion about what a girl I am, and then from that someone might say they wondered why people have a problem with sexuality identification, till someone says "let's get back to Zorn", and we do. What then is lost through that tangential conversation? Assuming nobody insults anyone or does anything to hurt another member, all you've had is a digression from the thread, and eventually going back to it. But you would infract everyone who brought it off-topic? That could be everyone talking in it, and so what's left of the thread but tumbleweed? Even if it's not everyone, you're going to lose a lot of people from what was a lively (if somewhat seemingly directionless) conversation. So how is that good? Keeping the thread on topic at all costs is the most important thing? But it isn't, not always. People like to digress, and rigidity is seldom welcome.
You need to understand what I think should be punished. It is rule breaking that I think should be punished. If a post breaks a rule, I think that demands some moderator attention. Currently we have a rule against short nonsense posts (and the like) and these tend to be off-topic. Hence, asking oneself whether or not a post is on topic is a way to identify nonsense posts, but it's not the only question one should ask.

If your thread got significantly derailed without rules being broken, then I'd probably move the derailed part of the discussion to another thread and tidy up your John Zorn thread a bit. If you asked me to, I would get right to it.

If your thread got derailed with a flame war erupting, then I would infract those who broke rules and probably delete the posts.

If your thread got filled with nonsense posts - and we had a rule against those - I would give the offenders warnings or infractions and possibly move the nonsense posts to a thread in the lounge called nonsense depository or something similar. They could continue their nonsense there. We might already have a thread suitable for that purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
So that means the Lounge is the only place we're allowed have fun? We have to be serious in every other thread outside of that? Oh wait: I asked that before, but you have yet to confirm this.
You can have fun and be funny, but rule breaking would have some consequence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart
Yeah, sorta proves my point. Why should Jansz get infracted when it's obvious he does this sort of thing all the time and is not a spammer nor trying to derail any discussion? Are his years here and all his many many contributions to be wiped out by one smiley?
His contributions wouldn't be wiped out due to one smiley. He might just get some infractions. Perhaps he only did it once and then the infractions he got were not enough to really matter. However, if he did it a lot, he might get tempbanned for a little while. As he should be, the sly minx, for hypothetically disrupting our deep, serious discussion with his annoyingly cheerful emoticons.

Last edited by Guybrush; 06-03-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote