Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2015, 02:27 PM   #15254 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

The Babadook (2014)

There's been a decent amount of hype about this movie and I always like seeing horror movies from other cultures, and while Australia pretty much shares most of the same parallels with its European ancestry (at least the white thieving side), I maintain you can always gain some cultural awareness by taking part in other cultures media. That being said, I don't see what the big deal with this movie is. Outside of some really nice still imagery and some real care and attention to the arts department, I found the movie to be mired by the 3rd act. Up to then there was some really cool ambiguity as to the extent of the haunting and just how much of it was made to be real and how much was imaginary but the third act just threw all that out the window for way too much up close detail and weird CGI. I still believe it was all a metaphor for grief but when compared to other psychological thrillers I've seen it just comes off as really schizophrenic.

I think tonight I'm going to rewatch Lake Mungo, another Australian horror movie with grief as its central theme because I want to see if it holds up as well as I kept on thinking it did last night while watching The Babadook.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote