Music Banter - View Single Post - Forum Member Album Reviews
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2015, 04:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Plainview

So...

Review of For Now by Daydream Society (YorkeDaddy)

Daydream Society

Encapsulate -
Straight away the there's a relaxing melancholy to the opening of this. I love how the changing notes linger and throb slightly as they are held. Then we get a synthy build up which is nice. Really atmospheric mood to it, definitely feels like a strong opener. Those pulsing layers of sound as further synth elements are brought into it feel just right to me. There's enough going on for it to be engaging but it also washes over you. Enjoyable.

Beneath Me is Nothing But Brightness -
Slightly choral feel to the sound in this. Great use of space and reverb. The melody is enticing and subtle. Again, simplicity combines with texture to creating something appealing. Different synths working in unison is soothing. Then the darker, more jagged synth starts up, giving the piece a moodier tone. In fact, I think what I like about this track is that it to fill both positive a negative emotions through the sounds. I love the build of presence and intensity towards the end, and then the elements fade out again as it ends.

After Everyone Leaves -
This made me imagine of empty streets and a desolate city, likely due to the title and cover art. I'll say that so far the tracks have a cinematic elegance to them. The first three, at least, have quite a similar sound and style. No bad thing, works well in the flow at this stage. The string-like synth in this is an exciting element, with the reverb and feedback shifting in and out of the track. All the tracks so far have this stark intensity which is a sound I find very satisfying.

Outer Wave -
Guitar! This is a great track to break up from the ambient cinematic sound of the first three. Quite psychedelic, a sound which definitely resonates with me. I love the intertwining synth and guitar parts, and the phasing in the track. You use your instruments to expand and highlight parts of the melody, which is very effective. Then we get a lone guitar rolling along. Again, the space is what makes the track impressive.

Floating In the In-Between -
Love the opening here. Again, we have that ambiguity of purpose emotionally, the sounds quite easily interpreted in positive and negative ways. I like the plodding synth that comes and goes. Quite a dissonant quality almost. Not too much, but perhaps at odds with the more strictly melodic stuff of previous tracks. And then that ragged distorted guitar shifts everything further. Nice and meaty actually. Imbues it with a bit of rock-ambience if that's a thing. It isn't a thing but what I'm saying is the guitar really works. At then it trickles off as the track ends.

Separation -
I like whatever is going with the synth in this, that arpeggio, filtered thing. Fits the title I think. And the distant, chiming melody is really lovely and relaxing. As is the the underlying part that comes in. All slots together really delicately. This track sits together very tightly with it's collective elements, I think, maybe best of all the tracks so far. Quite a positive and transcending quality to the sounds.

Mornings Dissipate in Somnolence -
Starts with a lot of atmosphere, there's something quite primal about the sound as it begins. The rain perhaps adds to that. Like the contrast from the last track. Less of a melody at the forefront at first, more emphasis on the overall mood. Then that delayed, thin sounding percussion and the bright synth element come into play and change the tracks trajectory quite some way. In tune with the title I think, definitely an enticing piece here. Really hear the ideas of wakefulness and sleep at play.

The Bell Jar -
The bright synth filling both ears is a pleasant experience. A more airy track, slightly less variety than the others, but overall it's very refreshing and I think fits well in the whole scheme of the album. The synths fading out into less discernible ambient stuff is a fruitful technique.

Penultimate -
The first few pangs have quite a classical, chamber-piece quality to them, contrasting with that droning feedback guitar. That's quite a novel blend instrumentally, and this track has a potency to it. The soft echoes of distant synths intermingling with the more abrasive, noisy guitar. After a while they actually sit comfortably together, flowing in and out, which I think is testament to the overall quality. Really rate this one actually. The guitar seems to be fizzling out almost. And the ending beats are an interesting way to close the track.

Does It End Like I Want It To? -
This short burst of ambience returns to the cinematic stuff of the early tracks. Really effective in transporting you somewhere. I like the swirling, glissando synth sounds that come in near the end. Crystalline and very sweet. A powerful ending. And an abrupt end.

Verdict:

My overall verdict is that this album is fantastic. Really moving and emotionally engaging. I'm going to assume that the concept has something to do with suicide/the afterlife. I think a lot of that came through in the way you craft ambient stuff that really allows the listener to interpret the sounds for themselves. I think that's actually a really difficult thing to achieve, and I thought the whole thing was very compelling and had a really strong flow, whilst creating an identity that was distinct for each track.

Great stuff with the combined synth and guitar textures, really interested to know how you achieved that, and how you managed to incorporate melodic stuff so convincingly and effortlessly.

I don't listen to a huge amount of ambient stuff, but I can honestly say I found this album to be thoroughly enjoyable, though I can't speak from intimate experience with the genre.

Regardless, I felt a strong emotional journey taking place as I listened, and I'd assume that is the primary aim when creating ambient pieces like this, so mission accomplished!
The overuse of babe/baby, the lack of any sort of discernible originality, the melodrama and the general sense of an especially heinous sort of hardcore vapid stupidity all make me want to jab my eyes out with a drill-press and then hang myself from the CN Tower with an electrified rope that sends shocks in excess of 10,000 volts through my body as I slowly die. While listening to Dream Theater.

Last edited by Plainview; 06-04-2015 at 04:53 PM.
Plainview is offline   Reply With Quote