Music Banter - View Single Post - language
Thread: language
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2015, 09:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cuthbert
Account Disabled

Been doing Spanish for about two years now, feel like I'm not pushing myself enough but can have a conversation (just about). The reality is a lot of the time it's just gonna be tedious as fuck but if you don't really want to do it you're gonna get nowhere.

Spanish is good for me cos I have an interest in a lot of South American stuff. I do language exchange online with some Uruguayans which helps, their English is far superior to my Spanish though.

Re: Courses, I found Michel Thomas's to be the best, Pimsleur bored me to tears. Not tried RS but heard it's wank.

English to Spanish is meant to be quite easy, English to Mandarin , my mate's doing that, he said that there are no proper tenses or verb conjugations. 4 tones are used to distinguish meanings from pronunciations of the same word and 1 sound can have over 10 meanings. Then there's the writing system as well .

Suffice to say though, there is no easy way to learn a language and there is no substitute for living in a country that speaks it.
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote