Music Banter - View Single Post - A possible alternative to tore's proposal for rule change: Trollheart's system
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2015, 05:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Default A possible alternative to tore's proposal for rule change: Trollheart's system

First, let me apologise for the need for this thread. I would much rather have discussed this as part of tore's thread but he basically told me it wasn't allowed, that I should begin my own, and so this is what I've done.

I'm not going to pretend I've put the amount of scientific research into this or explored the logic to the depth that he has --- I'm not an engineer, scientist, nor, strictly speaking, human, so my proposal is going to be a lot less polished than his, and more than likely it won't touch on all the points, so I'd be very grateful if you guys could point out anything I've missed, where it falls down, if it's **** (and if so why) and of course ask any questions or make any suggestions you wish to or feel should be.

So, to repeat my original post, tore has accused me --- well, accused is probably too strong a word: he's intimated that I do nothing but complain and find fault with his rules, but come up with none of my own. So I've thought about it and this is what I've come up with. It's based on the infraction system used in football (Disclaimer: when I say football here I'm referring to real football, not the type you Americans wear suits of armour to play! And no, I will not call it soccer!) and works like this:

Note: for those not familiar with the rules of football, it's not simple but I'll simplify it. If someone commits a “foul” (illegal behaviour: this could range from kicking someone to elbowing them in the face, blocking off a player, using your hand to control the ball and so on) they get a Yellow Card. Their name is taken and they are on a warning. If they do the same thing, or something similar again, or the referee finds any reason to warn them again, he may issue a second Yellow. Two yellows equal one Red Card and the player has to leave the field, can take no further part in the game and is usually out for three games. A “straight Red” can also be issued for very bad behaviour, violent conduct, deliberate attempts to take down a player who is about to score etc. Monkeytennis or Goofle can explain it in more detail if anyone needs more clarification or information.

So, during a game there are many things a player can do to find himself in the referee's notebook but, and this is important, this does not always happen. In order for the game to flow and for people to feel comfortable about making tackles, winning the ball etc there is some leeway, so whereas a bad tackle might be frowned upon, it may not necessarily be punished. When it is, a player is handed a Yellow Card. This means he is on licence; do it again and he's off. Two yellow cards equals one Red, after which the player is dismissed from the field and cannot take part in any more games for usually three matches.

In order that nobody goes mad throwing about Yellow Cards and half the teams are off the field, refs use their judgement. They, or the linesmen at the side, will note if something illegal or unwanted is done, and the player may be warned, or jut get the eye from the ref. He knows he has been spotted, and had better watch himself. After usually one warning, maybe two, or if he does something that cannot be excused, he gets a Yellow. If it's really bad he can get a straight Red, which effects his immediate expulsion from the pitch.

My idea reflects that. Say Member A starts acting up. Mod B can say “stop it, we're watching you” or similar, in the thread, to that member. If he or she does not stop, or does something else, then a Yellow Card is issued. Now, this is issued within the thread, in the open, not by PM, so that all can see it. Everyone now knows that Member A is on probation. If he or she steps out of line again, or fails to heed the warning, he or she gets a Red. This then would probably mean a week's ban.

How does this differ from our current system of infractions? Not that much, but the important part is that it's all done out in the open, where everyone can see, so not only has Member A got the message, and can't say he or she was not warned, but everyone else has seen him or her get it, so any complaining or whining later that it wasn't fair will be greeted with derision. We've all seen him or her ride the limits, be told to stop. We've seen him or her get the Yellow, so there can be no doubt they knew they were on a serious warning. In extreme cases, two Reds could make a Black Card (I think they do this in rugby?) which might then mean a month's ban for really bad or repeated behaviour that flouts the rules.

This may be seen as more work for mods, I don't know, but is it any more work than PMing everyone who needs an infraction? You're in the thread, you see the problem, you can deal with it there and then. It's in the open, there are no closed doors or kangaroo courts, nobody can be accused of having a vendetta against anyone, it's all there to see. In football, Red cards can also be appealed if the person feels they were given it unfairly, and this would be up to the mods to decide (if this system were adopted) but an appeal tribunal could be held, where the mods, in concert maybe with Member A and maybe anyone he or she offended or affected with his or her behaviour, could decide whether it should stand or be rescinded.

Look, I don't know: I'm doing this on the fly. But it seems on its face a fairer and more equitable system. If I go over the top and someone hits me with a Yellow card (even if I think I should not have got that card) and continue in that behaviour and then get a Red, what protest can I raise? And who will support that, seeing what happened? I think it 's better than someone disappearing off the board and everyone wondering where they went, and why they were banned. It also, to return to the football analogy, allows everyone not only to play nice but to play rough if they want, aware they are being watched and not to push it too far. Nobody's afraid to slide in with a tackle, but by the same token everyone knows that an elbow in the face will not be tolerated. This would of course apply to all members, as on the pitch the captain can be as easily carded as a defender, and the player costing seventy million can go just as can the one costing ten. And as in football, if the ref (mod) does not see the infraction then it can be brought to his or her attention by way of reporting. The mod can then investigate and see if the card is merited.

So to recap, it could go like this:

Step 1: Member A is talking to Member B and calls him a ***got
Mod B says "That's not acceptable language. Knock it off."

Step 2: Member A then uses the word again.
Mod B says "I warned you; your're on thin ice buddy" (if he or she wishes to give two warnings: that would be up to the mod. He could if he wanted go on to step 3 immediately after step 1)

Step 3: Member A continues in the same behaviour
Mod B says "Ok mister! That's it! You have a Yellow Card!"
(That could be bolded) If possible, as I said, a Yellow flag or something could then appear on Member A somewhere. I really don't know the logistics of it, if it's easy or hard to do, but surely something could be done? Even a spreadsheet with names on it? I don't know, but something)

Step 4: Member A, now Yellow carded, remains the same as he was.
A mod says: "Another yellow for you and that's a Red. Enjoy your week off."

Problem dealt with, again in view of all participating members within the thread. No behind-the-scenes skullduggery or ulterior motives can be claimed or accused.

If this were to be implemented, I wonder if a yellow card/red card symbol could be added to the member's panel, like their post count, join date etc, just on a temporary basis, until the card has been worked off?

An embyronic idea, certainly, but on the face of it, what do you guys think? Would it work? Have I forgotten anything? Does anyone have questions, want to challenge it? What does tore think? What about the other mods?

I fully expect (though hope I'm wrong) that tore will come in here and sneer at my ideas, saying “What about this?” and “You haven't thought about that!” and “How does this solve the other?” which is fine if he does. I'm open to suggestions, corrections, ideas. I would just rather this did not become a slanging match between us. He refused to let me propose this in his thread, so now I have to make my own.

May the best system win, or, indeed, none!