Music Banter - View Single Post - Greatest sportsmen of all time?
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2015, 10:39 AM   #25 (permalink)
Ninetales
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
Only 4 players (all forwards) in the entire history of the NHL, averaged more points per game than Orr did.

Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Mike Bossy, and Sidney Crosby.

Bobby Orr (a defenseman) averaged more points per game than these other notable forwards:

Steve Yzerman, Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg, Phil Esposito, Jarri Kuri, Eric Lindros, Marcel Dionne, Guy Lafleur, Evgeni Malkin, Alexander Ovechkin, Jaromir Jagr, Pavel Bure, Brett Hull, Mark Messier, and hundreds of others.

No other defenseman in the history of the NHL has ever won a scoring title. Bobby Orr did it twice - and both times was named best defenseman too.

Orr won the Norris trophy a record 8 consecutive years. No other player has won it more than 3 consecutive years.

For those who are of the opinion that Wayne Gretzky is the greatest ever, try this. Imagine Bobby spent his entire career as a forward and that Gretzky had spent his as a defenseman (hard to do seeing as Wayne was nowhere near tough enough for the position) - now try to imagine how many points each would have scored. Wayne made a career of hanging out by the blue line waiting for outlet passes - Bobby never had that luxury.
I know orr is great and maybe he is better than gretzky (I think comparing different positions is unfair as is tho, which is why im not going to say hasek > gretzky), but isn't using offensive numbers to show how great a dman is one of the reason guys like Karlsson is so hated now? I mean he has some ridiculous defenseman numbers but people still get pissed when he rightfully wins the Norris. different argument but sue me.

and comparing Orr's ppg with guys like Crosby's is super unfair unless you adjust it for the era.

again not saying orr wasn't the best dman of all time. he very likely is.
Ninetales is offline   Reply With Quote