Music Banter - View Single Post - Smooth Jazz
Thread: Smooth Jazz
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2015, 11:17 AM   #28 (permalink)
Necromancer
Divination

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster241 View Post
Well...I had kind of hoped for a dialogue, and not just a youtube clip. That doesn't answer any of my concerns about the style. Tell me what makes you think that that song is anything but a pop song with a horn section. I have to assume (because, you didn't see fit to explain it...you know...in words) that you're confusing an uptempo beat for "guts vibrancy and life.

on a side note, I swear, the last time I was on hold with my doctor's office there was a tape loop of that very song playing or something extremely similar. (which now that I think of kind of proves my point about sameness)

rooster
I understand your point concerning the difference between smooth jazz and traditional free jazz.
Of course smooth jazz contains elements of pop music.
Rock and roll and metal music can also be classified in the mainstream, as pop music as well.
Jazz fusion is also more appealing to me personally than most of the traditional freestyle jazz also.

when I'm listening to the radio while driving in the car, or whenever the mood strikes me. Its mostly smooth jazz I listen to, in comparison to other stations.
I will agree with you that a lot of smooth jazz songs are pop orientated. but at the same time, a lot of smooth jazz atist and their music is outstanding jazz orientated music that relaxes the soul and mind for me.
Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote