Music Banter - View Single Post - - Log files for Weekend Astronauts -
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2015, 09:24 AM   #27 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
I like this.

Like the name you gave it, "Sleepgunner" creates a drowsy, mellow, yet alert mood with its calming beat and all those intriguing, little cricket-like rasps panned left, center, and right, chirping along without any clear pattern (that I can discern).

The chirps and rasps help breathe life into the song and keep me alert during it, wondering what will happen next. The arrangement does that, too, with the phasered guitar duet section that continues as a solo when the other sounds drop out mid-song.

I especially like the moments at 1:01 and 1:56 when you insert a small hiccup of silence. Lovely.

Two mental images come to mind when I hear the song, which I imagine would be great in a movie score to accompany scenes such as these:

The first scene is of sitting on the porch swing on a summer night, rocking back and forth while watching the distant lightning strikes and cloud flashes of a passing storm, far away on the horizon, while the crickets nearby chirp unseen in the yard.

The second scene is of driving alone at night on a raised interstate through a city around 1:30 AM, when few people are on the roads and almost all the city is asleep. The highway stretches ahead and curves gently above and below other concrete roads in the inner city as you cruise past hunkered brownstone buildings occasionally winking their lit rectangular windows at you due to the few people still awake.

I can imagine hearing your song in both situations.

[An aside: when you say the word "placeholder," I can't help but snicker impishly as I remember your "Placeholder Trilogy."]

BTW, I like your newish Weekend Astronauts image. I imagine the astronauts are you and Piotr lovingly holding your music-baby.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote