Music Banter - View Single Post - Moss comes Alive at Leeds and gets his Ya-Ya's out
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2015, 09:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Moss
Scuttle Buttin'

Pearl Jam
Date: 10/31/93
Venue: Greek Theatre, Berkeley, CA
Tour: VS
Opening band(s): Henry Rollins Band, American Music Club

Yes, this was over 20 years ago so the memories are a bit scattered. I have seen Pearl Jam many times over the years but this is still my favorite show. They still seemed to be the young wild rock band and not yet the well oiled arena band they became. There was so much energy at the show.

- American Music Club basically got booed off the stage, even though they were a local well respected band, but really a cult band. The crowd just was not looking for slow songs with introspective Mark Eitzel lyrics, or what I guess they call "Slowcore". I felt bad for them to be honest but what can you do. It didn't help that they had bad sound and I was glad when they were done.
- Henry Rollins on the other hand had the place going crazy. This was back in his "Liar" days although not sure that song had been released yet but I remember him doing it, but memories are faulty. I thought his show was great.
- Pearl Jam was amazing. I was right up front, even caught one of Mike McCready's guitar picks which I still have. It has Pearl Jam on one side and "666" on the other, not sure why. Eddie was drinking wine and smoking during the show. Or generally he would light a cigarette, take a few puffs, then pass it to someone in the front row who would take a puff and pass it on. I let that **** go right by, have no desire to share a smoke with a bunch of strangers.
- At one point Eddie came out carrying a gigantic cross and wearing an iron mask, must have found them backstage, and was acting like Jesus. It was more tongue in cheek and funny than it may sound given his subsequent coronation as rock god. I remember Jeff Ament bowing down to him like a disciple.
- Did some nice covers for the encore: ****in Up, sonic reducer, Baba O' Riley. Other than that it was really the big hits from the first 2 albums, plus some extras like Footsteps, and State of Love and Trust.

Saw them several times since (including last year), usually at big stadiums or the bridge school benefits, and have some other highlights from those shows as well, but nothing compared to the lean rocking band I saw on this night.
Moss is offline   Reply With Quote