Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate?
Thread: Love or Hate?
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2015, 10:15 AM   #629 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: Millions now living will never die
Artiste: Tortoise
Genre: Post rock
Familiarity: Zero

Track 1(Love) Starting off with a twenty-minute track is pushing it; I hope this lives up to its promise. Well it kind of is. It's very relaxing and enjoyable, and we're about halfway through. Nice. Some lovely interplay between I think vibes and violin now (about minute twelve) though there are odd things happening in the fifteenth (is that kind of jumping about and skipping/stuttering meant to happen?) Gone a bit weird now. Getting a little more back on track, slowing near the end. On balance I really liked this and it didn't seem like twenty minutes, always a good sign. Oh, and whalesong at the very end? Class.
Track 2(Love) A little harder, as it were, but really nice.
Track 3(Love) Some great bass kicking this off. Oh, okay: it was basically all bass. Hmm.
Track 4(Love) Some really nice piano/vibes/something here. Galloping percussion works well.
Track 5(Hate) Have to be honest, I just don't like this one.
Track 6(Love) This however is great. Love the slide guitar, and it has a sort of cowboy/western theme to it. Good closer, very good.

End result: I've mentioned before that instrumental albums struggle often to maintain my interest, but this one certainly did. Very pleasant and enjoyable.

So, Love or Hate? A definite Love.

Chances of a full review: 3/10 (mostly because of my tendency to avoid reviewing too many instrumental albums)