Music Banter - View Single Post - How Should MB Be Moderated?
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2015, 10:51 AM   #49 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
The fact that YorkeDaddy had to put a disclaimer warning people they will be reported for going off topic in the thread he made "Competitive League of Legends" speaks clearly to the point I was making. I don't really feel like digging through old topics to give you multiple examples of threads being derailed in the name of fun or emotions->name calling instead of debate/discussion.
Well I was just asking for general examples, like political discussions. And I see a video game discussion as just naturally lending itself to derailments about other video games. Even with stricter rules on that kind of thing (and since it's in a Lounge subforum, I imagine it would fall under the "Safe Zone" caregory).

Basically, for that kind of thing, I just think thread creators and contributors should be more proactive with requesting that derails get moved to new threads if the discussion merits it, or preexisting ones dedicated to general discussions of that specific one.

Otherwise you can just say something like, "Hey, guys, can we get back on topic?" I don't imagine anybody around here is a big enough dick to just tell the person to **** off.

I don't think stricter modding on that front is necessary, as greater non-mod member oversight would solve the problem, and I don't think that's something to ask that would be unrealistic, as it wouldn't mean members policing themselves, but rather other members just being more proactive with maintaining the integrity of threads they're already invested in.

Edit: As to drama, I would tentatively agree that mods step in more actively when it comes to derailing, but unless people get used to reporting posts (which I don't see happening, as it's just not something that I think occurs to most members) then I don't think a rule change would really help, since they can only intervene when they know about it.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.