Music Banter - View Single Post - How Should MB Be Moderated?
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2015, 05:11 AM   #96 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
Concerns: I'm concerned that if we try it and we don't like it we can't go back.
I'm ok with change, I'm not ok with not being able to revolt and stop the madness.

So let me see if I'm smart enough to grasp this.
Of course you are. Great post Roxy and may I say congratulations for such a long and relatively typo-free one on a phone with a cracked screen! (You not get that fixed yet honey?) That post was really from the heart and I don't see how anyone could have any problems with it.

So here's the problem I have with it.

Nah, just kidding hon: it was perfect and should really be the final word on this, though of course it won't be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadChannel View Post
We should have a poll to see if we should have more polls.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves: we should have a poll, to see if we need a poll, to have a poll to see if we need more polls. And what have you against Poland anyway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
This site needs strippers. Let's have a stripper poll.
Now there's something we can all enjoy!

Time for another useless wall of text, but I feel this needs to be said, especially in the light of what Roxy has pointed out.

I think maybe if we compare MB to a country we might get our best metaphor. At the moment, say 80% of the people are happy. They work, they play, they contribute. Some fight, there is some prejudice, there is some intolerance. This will always be the case; you will never eliminate this sort of behaviour and so we will never have a Utopia. No government will ever change things that benefit a minority (unless they're rich and powerful) and alienate the majority of voters.

The thing is, I never saw this "constitutional crisis" that's being bandied about now. MB is not perfect, by any means, but who would expect it to be? To my mind it was run more or less by a benevolent junta, who took care of all the little things we didn't have to know about or bother about, and made this a good place to be. Now suddenly it's to be a democracy. Why? What's wrong with the current system? Apart from a few isolated incidents here and there, can anyone (including tore) point to a string of occurrences that proves a pattern of behaviour has been in play? I've seen people fight, get angry, make up, pout, sulk, threaten to leave, accuse everyone who wasn't of the same mind as them about something, but that sort of thing happens all the time, and will continue to do so no matter what. Guess what though? The place has not fallen apart.

I find much of this new poll unnecessary. Do we need new mods? Who cares? If the mod team feel they need more members they will recruit them, as they always have done. When Goofle was made a mod did we have polls and endless debate? No. The guys knew he was the man for the job and he got it. Nobody would begrudge him the position. But now we have to be asked if more mods are needed? Why has that anything to do with us? We don't see or know what goes on behind the scenes in their crazed, debauched sessions in the Mod Cave. Maybe they're fine as they are, maybe they need help. Why do they need us to ratify that? Why is it important that we all have our say?

You can apply that logic to pretty much all of the poll. Who sets, or at least implements the infractions? The mods do. Do we not trust them to do their jobs to the best of their ability? And anyway, it's not a job is it? They don't get paid. So whatever way they want to run this forum, the way they have been running the forum, should be okay. I'm totally unclear why there needs to be change, particularly of the magnitude tore is/was suggesting?

Tore and others are worried about (among other things) new members not sticking around because they don't like the atmosphere here. Well I'll tell you one thing: if they read these threads they're likely to shake their heads and say "These guys can't even agree among themselves how to run this place! How can I enjoy a place like that?"

To the outside viewer, the newbie or those recently joined and still to decide if they want to stay, we're looking like a bunch of bloody amateurs who can't even decide on what colour the walls should be, rather than a fairly happy bunch of people who have been living in the same house for years and years.