Music Banter - View Single Post - language
Thread: language
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2015, 01:52 PM   #27 (permalink)
grindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
^that's sort of what i'm hoping to do with chinese.... been watching crouching tiger hidden dragon and **** like that. i recognize some of the basic phrases and words that pimsleur introduced.. but yea i need a lot more work

i tried 2 torrents of the michel thomas program for mandarin but none of them have finished downloading successfully... one seems completely dead, and the other installed a bit then stopped, then installed a bit more and stopped.. currently stopped at like 49%. not really looking to spend money on this **** but if it was like 10-20 bucks then maybe.
Not sure whether it's possible to really learn such a completely alien language by oneself. Possibly the very basics, but for anything besides that you might need a teacher, tons of effort and some linguistic talent.
Especially it being a tonal language might make it really hard.
I guess knowing the phonemes of five languages I'm a little better equipped than most people, but whenever a chinese friend of mine tries to teach me the pronunciation of some word, I feel completely lost. I can't even pronounce his name 100% right, but luckily we call him "The Chinese Guy" anyway.