Music Banter - View Single Post - How Should MB Be Moderated?
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2015, 01:53 PM   #155 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
1B. The rules should NOT be applied equally to all members (ex. mods more lenient with regulars)
As I mentioned previously, I don’t think this issue is expressed well in the poll so I guess this is the option I’m forced to choose. What I support is fair moderation, which I think has always been what we go for here. I honestly don’t even know what it would mean to apply the rules equally to all members regardless of post count since the rules themselves clearly differentiate between new members and longer term members (e.g. our rules about who can have what in their signature, our rule about who can have a journal, our rule that you need 15 non-lounge posts before you can create links, etc.). I don’t think these rules are unfair or unreasonable, and I think it’s a fairly common human expectation in all kinds of communities that long-term participants have earned a bit more leeway within the group.
It could have been worded better. By the basic intention of the option, the rules you mention are not regarded unequal, or at least not the kind of unequal that was intended to bring up. Rather, those rules are circumstantial which is similar, but importantly different. You'd probably agree that people who are blind should not drive cars. Hypothetically, it is applied equally because if you yourself become blind, you are not allowed to drive and the same goes for the president of the US. It doesn't matter who you are, it only matters whether or not you are blind and blindness is important in this case because it makes you less able to drive safely.

If you are blind and allowed to drive a car, then you're treated differently.

Likewise, all these circumstantial rules that affect newbies would also affect us if we were newbs (thus applying equally to all in that circumstance) and newb is an unspecific term that doesn't differentiate on things like the colour your skin or gender - rather like the no-driving-rule for blind people.

It's hard to get all this into one 100 characters option, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
is it cool if i just vote or do i really have to go through each one and explain my reasoning?
I think only two of us have explained our votes so far. It's up to you, but if you do, I'll read it.