Music Banter - View Single Post - Your History as a Musician
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2015, 03:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Black Francis
Out of Place

When did you start playing? What was your first instrument?

I started as a drummer when i was 13 or so but eventually moved up to the guitar

What were the first songs you learned?

on drums it was Drain you and on guitar it was about a girl, both Nirvana songs

Did you take lessons and for how long? What was your teacher like?

my teacher was my friend Giovanni, he teached me basic guitar stuff like how to do a power chord, on drums i had no teacher except dave grohl

When was your first performance? What gear did you have?

our first gig was on a public school talent show were 90% of the kids were into rap, i remember it well cause it went horribly

we practiced Alec eiffel by the pixies to perfection but what we didnt do was equalize our instruments for the perfomance lol

When did you start or join your first band? What did you play? How long did it last?

i played the drums mostly but also played bass, me and gio started a band as i was learning how to play so before i even knew how to play i was in a band

How have your gear preferences changed over time? What is your favorite gear now?

im not a gear guy, ive never learned much about the quality of instruments and brands and all that sh*t

i have a basic knowledge about the brands but thats about it

How much gear do you own? How much have you sold? What are you hoping to own in the future?

never sold any gear, i have an electric and a acoustic guitar and for a little while i had piano.

I lost my piano when i moved to another house, idk what happened to it but in the future i plan on buying one.

How have your influences and playing style changed over time?

well, i started with very simple compositions heavily influenced by Nirvana then i discovered Guided by voices and the pixies and they redefined my guitar playing, later i discovered Deerhoof and Django which again has redefined how i play, my biggest influence atm is Django, i discovered him too late in life but to me he represents the kind of guitar player i want to be.

What were your best / worst performances like?

my worst was my first gig (the one i mentioned earlier at the public school) my best was in a local bar where we played with a bomba & plena group at the end.

At the end of the show all the bands joined in for a plena song and it looked like a carnaval. Everybody was dancing with smiles on their faces, it was f*ckin great.

Have you ever had any studio experience? Where at?

no, all my experiences have been in amateur home studios

Do you still play? If you don't why did you stop?

Yes. I play my guitar everyday but i havent played in a band in years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbRbCtIgW3A
Black Francis is offline   Reply With Quote